Main Menu

Go Mango Boys Project Car

Started by GoMangoBoys, February 20, 2020, 08:33:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We did a lot of work to restore the wiper linkages.  We did not take any "after" pictures.  All I have are the "before" pics.  We bead blasted and paitned everything and replaced all the bushings.  I bought a set of replacement bushings from an E-bay seller.

GoMangoBoys

We used this plastic polish on all the side marker and tail light lenses as well as the clear lenses on the dash gauges.  When the lenses were badly scratched, we used 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper, then the plastic polish.

GoMangoBoys

I bought a trunk / tail light wiring harness from someone here ont he forum and long time ago.  When we went to install it, we discovered it was for a later model (maybe a 72 I think).  The bulb / socket configuration was not right for our 70.  I got a great deal on a less than perfect harness from Mike Ross and cannibalized it to rework the one that we had.  After I was done, we used the battery charger to check it all out.

GoMangoBoys

The bumper did not line up right when we installed it.  The driver's side stuck out by more than a half inch compared to the aluminum trim above it.  I put a lot of effort into reworking the bracket so tat it would line up.  I assumed that the previous owner who did the trunk pan replacement had not put it all back in the right place.  I then observed many cars at the Chrysler Nationals and the Mopar Nationals that had bumpers that were just as poorly aligned.  I am wondering if they were often just not perfect from the factory.  What I do know is that ours is pretty good now.

Dmod1974

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who had to rework their LH side bumper bracket! I had to do the exact same thing to get it to line up nicely, but I always chalked it up to previous accident damage on that corner even though it didn't appear to affect the rear crossmember.

usraptor

Looks good.  I'm really watching your progress and attention to detail.  :clapping:

GoMangoBoys

We spent a lot of time cleaning up the wiring harness.  We removed and cleaned with sandpaper every connection and every fuse terminal.  Figured it was easier to clean all this up on the bench rather than fight with problems caused by poor connections.

GoMangoBoys

My wife was not happy when she tried to do the laundry and could not find her bag of clothes pins.  They DID however get the job done with the trunk seal.  I added the last picture since when I was doing this trunk seal, I was not sure what direction it went.

GoMangoBoys

We got the doors lined up well and the door and quarter glass fitting tightly against the upper weatherstrip.  Many of my other classic cars have loud leaky door window seals.  I am hopeful that this one will be better.  We did this before the headliner was installed, not knowing that the upper weatherstripping had to be installed AFTER the headliner, so the trim and weather strips had to come back off, but in the end, they turned out just as good.

GoMangoBoys

We used Dynamat sound deadener to cover the floor, doors etc.  The 6x9 speakers are bolted in with 6-32 machine screws and nuts with locktite.  This was a poor way to do this as we will need to take the package tray out in order to service or replace the speakers.  That means removing the back seat and side panels to get the package tray out.  Let's hope that we have no problems with those speakers.