Main Menu

Second lease on life 73 Challenger.

Started by Rdchallenger, December 16, 2017, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Cool to read you're not discouraged, a lot would be, keep at it. Also cool to see you putting a 73 back on the road! Keep posting progress, I'd get it up and running as soon as possible and then finish it from there. Mine still isn't finished but the fact that I can get in it and drive it keeps me motivated!

What are you plans for the the engine/trans/suspension setup? Keeping it stock?

Spikedog08

Like Cody said . . So an area at a time!  If you have questions,just ask the forum!   :yes:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Rdchallenger

Quote from: dave73chally on December 18, 2017, 05:50:01 AM
Cool to read you're not discouraged, a lot would be, keep at it. Also cool to see you putting a 73 back on the road! Keep posting progress, I'd get it up and running as soon as possible and then finish it from there. Mine still isn't finished but the fact that I can get in it and drive it keeps me motivated!

What are you plans for the the engine/trans/suspension setup? Keeping it stock?

Oh I am very discouraged haha, but I'm not one to quit on something and am very stubborn so I have that going for me! :haha: Anyway It is originally a 318 car. I wanted something a little more fun so I found a 340 that down the road I will put a six pack on. It is a '73 block but has '69 internals. Put a slightly bigger cam in as well as a different intake and the HiPo manifolds. The rear was an open dif. With I'm assuming 2.76 gears? It's being turned into a Sure Grip with 3.55s. Suspension is pretty much staying stock besides just updates.

Rdchallenger

Took a couple of days and rebuilt the steering column. Everything looked great on the inside.

roguedc72

Soooo many bodyshop horror stories out there, my 72 went for maybe a 6 month body and paint work, 2 and a half years later, it's sitting in my garage again, nice and straight in the original rally red,looks great but I was grinding teeth at times. Oh yeah, the fender flags,hood scoop inserts and front and rear valances are STILL there, time to start texting and visiting again.

Rdchallenger

It's a shame that the '73s aren't desirable with all the stamping s I'm finding. These are from my heater box as I am currently taking it apart to put in new seals.

RUNCHARGER

Well, here's the deal. 73's are desirable and in the future if those markings are missing on a 73 it will be noticed. The restorations are getting better all the time so it's nice to keep a high standard when you can.
Sheldon

Rdchallenger

Question regarding some metal replacement and the correct order as I am doing a game plan while waiting on my weld cutters so am looking for opinions. The trunk floor, trunk extensions, and outer wheel house (both sides) is being replaced. Should I tackle the wheel house first? Or do the trunk floor and extensions first with the original wheel housing in place?

dodj

Quote from: Rdchallenger on December 16, 2017, 02:46:17 PM
The guy was all about it thinking it would be an easy resto, but after it got blasted he saw the work that was going to need done and just stopped working but still had me buy panels. Out a couple thousand unfortunately but at least at have got the car back in my possession and it's not sitting outside covered up (yeah that's a whole new story), the crappy part about it is that it wasn't even treated after the blasting was done, I'm still finding sand everywhere.
It's frustrating how many times you hear stories similar to this. A car owner supplies a car to be done, ponies up the $ and can't get the shop to do what they are being paid to do.
A friend of mine has a mustang at a local shop for, I think over 2 years now. He's pissed but he figures if he gets mad at the owner it will only get worse.
It's made me decide to research spray guns. I've bought the bigger 80 gallon 5hp compressor. I'll paint it myself when the time comes with the help of Cody's videos and advice from the knowledgeable members of this site, I figure I should be able to do a presentable job. Might take two or three tries.....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

quapman

This is why after 25 years of trying to find "the right shop", I decided to teach myself to do just about everything. The worst that can happen is that I screw something up and have to do it again or find someone who can fix it.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: quapman on December 22, 2017, 07:30:42 AM
This is why after 25 years of trying to find "the right shop", I decided to teach myself to do just about everything. The worst that can happen is that I screw something up and have to do it again or find someone who can fix it.

Agreed, the most frustrating thing was when trying to talk to him about ways that an Ebody is different as far as lining things up or the way things may have been painted he hadn't a clue. That was one of the biggest red flags as well to know that I needed to get my car back and do it myself for piece of mind.

usraptor

I'm not a body man but my best friend is and did the body work on my '70 'Cuda.  I also needed a new trunk floor pan, extensions, both rear quarters and the dutchman panel.  He started with the trunk floor pan and then the extensions before doing the quarters and dutchman panel.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

LinceCuda

Quote from: dodj on December 22, 2017, 04:16:02 AM
Quote from: Rdchallenger on December 16, 2017, 02:46:17 PM
The guy was all about it thinking it would be an easy resto, but after it got blasted he saw the work that was going to need done and just stopped working but still had me buy panels. Out a couple thousand unfortunately but at least at have got the car back in my possession and it's not sitting outside covered up (yeah that's a whole new story), the crappy part about it is that it wasn't even treated after the blasting was done, I'm still finding sand everywhere.
It's frustrating how many times you hear stories similar to this. A car owner supplies a car to be done, ponies up the $ and can't get the shop to do what they are being paid to do.
A friend of mine has a mustang at a local shop for, I think over 2 years now. He's pissed but he figures if he gets mad at the owner it will only get worse.
It's made me decide to research spray guns. I've bought the bigger 80 gallon 5hp compressor. I'll paint it myself when the time comes with the help of Cody's videos and advice from the knowledgeable members of this site, I figure I should be able to do a presentable job. Might take two or three tries.....
I had a guy screw up a paint job one time so I brought it home and let is sit for 2 weeks. I then spent 9 hours on it wet sanding then 3 hours buffing and it came back and looked fine. The paint was single stage PPG so you should be just fine doing it yourself.

Rdchallenger

So do the trunk first then worry about the outer wheel well?

A.Gramz

Quote from: Rdchallenger on December 22, 2017, 08:54:19 PM
So do the trunk first then worry about the outer wheel well?

That's how I would do it if I had to do it again.