Main Menu

The red on red 1970 Cuda project

Started by Wayne, May 19, 2019, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

@Wayne  You could send your new locks to a lock smith and have them keyed to match your ignition key.  :alan2cents:

YellowThumper

Or...
If the old locks are good. You could try and just switch the lever and snap ring over to old.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Wayne

Quote from: JS29 on October 01, 2019, 06:52:05 AM
@Wayne  You could send your new locks to a lock smith and have them keyed to match your ignition key.  :alan2cents:

Quote from: YellowThumper on October 01, 2019, 07:50:10 AM
Or...
If the old locks are good. You could try and just switch the lever and snap ring over to old.

New cylinders came in yesterday from Roseville.  I called every local locksmith (over a dozen) and none could do it. 

I pulled off the driver side door panel and the clip was on the cylinder but the rod had had fallen out.  Put the rod back in and it worked fine.  The passenger side is the one that didn't have the clip on the back of the cylinder.  So I took one off one of the new ones and swapped it over and it worked fine.

Short story is now I have proper  :twothumbsup:functioning door locks! 

Although having to lock the doors with the key after it closes i'm sure will become frustrating....maybe another day & time
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

RUNCHARGER

It's actually not a big deal, You get used to it.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Wayne

Quote from: anlauto on October 03, 2019, 07:28:32 AM
How often do you lock your car ?

So far .5 mile  :-[  But... I plan to drive it alot when its done.  I will deal with and it embrace the uniqueness that it is. 

YellowThumper

FWIW re-keying these locks are a simple task. Top cover will snap off and on. Inside are small round brass tumblers. 2 per each key touch point.
Years ago I raided many jy locks to disassemble for their tumblers. Put key in and find stack up that brings them up to flush with cylinder face and you are good to go.
You used to be able to purchase tumbler kits. I would expect that the correct diameter of brass bar could also be purchased for cutting to length as necessary.

Also.... you can omit a row or two or three if you dont have replacement tumblers. Key just gets increasingly less effective.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

JS29

Your local Chrysler dealer should be able to accommodate you.   :alan2cents:

Wayne

Good tips on the cylinders!  Didn't even think of taking them to a dealer

And the heater box is officially in!  When your in Michigan you need heat!  New defrost cable (with a picture of what you don't want one to look like!). I was finally able to get it installed tonight as the defrost cable just came in.
  Car was missing the fresh air vent cables and those should be in soon.

Wayne

This is the first car I've had with no passenger side mirror.   It only took backing it into the garage once got me to realize that was going to have to change.   Pretty sure I measured 5x before I drilled the holes  :D.
  Painted the grill and buckets Saturday.  Took a while to get the hang of the black round discs.  They were dropping everywhere at first.  But we got it figured out late last night.  First time I had the in there I didn't have the light harness in....luckily I only had 2 bolts in and not all of them. 
  I bought a new light harness and it has the connection for what I believe is the top of the fender turn signals which my car doesn't have.  Anyone else run into this and what did you do with the unused connector on the harness?  Tape it up or plug it?

Chryco Psycho

Looking great  :bigthumb:
The bullet connectors for the fender light can be left open , I would pack grease into them or you could push a male connector into plug .

Wayne

Its looking like a real car again!   Front end is all on now.  Put the hockey stripe back on the door. The guy I bought the car from had a new set so I didn't have to buy those per se.  The fresh air vent cables came in from RoaevilleMoparts and those are done now.
  Next I want to work on the rocker moldings and start on the wiring harnesses in the engine bay.

The biggest tasks I have to get it ready to run is:
  1. Install the under hood wiring harnesses.
  2. Wire the fuel pump and run new lines.
  3. I want to bypass the ammeter gauge  (picked up a 90 amp alternator).
  4. Install the new ignition box.
  5. The big one...get the engine back

usraptor

Your grille restoration came out really nice.   :clapping: Great job.  :bravo:

Wayne

Quote from: usraptor on October 14, 2019, 05:31:09 PM
Your grille restoration came out really nice.   :clapping: Great job.  :bravo:

Thanks I am happy with it. 

Lots of time prepping, taping, some light plastic repair on the bezels.  The argent I got from RosevilleMOparts worked pretty well.  I liked the color match but the metal/flake just wasn't as big as the oem.  I think the only way could match the oem argent is to have something mixed up and sprayed through a large tip gun. 

anlauto

I agree the grill looks fantastic  :drooling:
Is that the front bumper that was on the car ? I notice the jack slots  ::)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration