Main Menu

The red on red 1970 Cuda project

Started by Wayne, May 19, 2019, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

oldmoparbuff

Wayne

Finally had a little time to work on the car today. Decided to tackle the heater core...it was leaking when I picked it up so we bypassed it. First time I have been inside a heater box. I got the heater box out without much issue. I already picked up a heater core from Roseville Moparts. They have been great to deal with. The box itself isn't too bad. It was obviously out before as one of the top bolt holes was cracked. Two of the clips were pretty rusty and chewed up the box a little. Will have to try and repair that. The doors inside had a strangle film on this not sure if its replaceable or what the best option there is. Any thoughts?

The blower motor plate had a broken stud. So I wanted to get that out and either rebuild or replace the blower motor while its out.

Unfortunately the wheel/cage on the blower motor cracked when I was working it off. Couldn't believe how seized up it was on the shaft. So I will have to try and find a replacement.

I just did some quick searches and seems like classic and year one don't have the parts I need. Does anyone have any leads on the following:

1. Blower motor plate
2. Blower motor cage
3. Rebuild service or replacement for the blower.
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

anlauto

Detroit Muscle Technologies sells a complete rebuild kit for all the foam seals etc...
NOBODY sells a correct replacement motor, but guys like Stephan Fournier do an excellent job of restoring them correctly.
The Blower cage wheel will have to be source used, nobody makes a new one.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Wayne

Thanks for the info Alan much appreciated!  :bigthumb:

E74cuda

Check with Bill Meerholz for a restored blower motor. When you look for a replacement blower motor plate, get one with studs that are not pointed at the ends. That would be correct for your application.

Wayne

Thanks for the info!  Found his website.  Will be giving him a call  :bigthumb:

Chryco Psycho

The doors inside usually have a thin foam film on them as insulation , the foam breaks down leaving the tape film on the doors , not sure where to find replacement foam for the doors .

Skid Row

www.MrHeaterbox.com is your source for that blower wheel."Brian" also does full restorations on Mopar and AMC heaterboxes only

Wayne

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 07, 2019, 09:47:30 PM
The doors inside usually have a thin foam film on them as insulation , the foam breaks down leaving the tape film on the doors , not sure where to find replacement foam for the doors .

Ahhh that makes sense.  Thanks for explaining.

I reached out to Bill @ BMCuda and he has been a huge help and I should be getting some parts from him this week to address the heater box and wipers.

Until then I took the hood of in preparation for pulling the motor and have been working on the underside of the hood.  The plan is to paint the engine bay and the underside of the hood.  The hood had black paint over the factory red.  It was a mess and took a lot of time to strip the black off.  Used laquer thinner with rags and then scotch brite pads
  Now that is done I am going to start sanding the rusty areas and figure out the best way to prep those areas before priming.  Blasting is out of the question.  So we'll see what I end up doing.  Not entirely sure yet. 
  Here are a few pictures of the hood.  You can see in the first picture what I started with and where I ended up at now.

anlauto

Great job cleaning the hood  :twothumbsup: For what it's worth though, that's not the original hood to the car, it's been replaced at some point. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Wayne

Quote from: anlauto on June 17, 2019, 06:34:41 AM
Great job cleaning the hood  :twothumbsup: For what it's worth though, that's not the original hood to the car, it's been replaced at some point. :alan2cents:

thanks sir!  Still waiting on my fingers to recover from swimming in thinner lol

Well, how about that then! I appreciate the input.  How can you tell?

RUNCHARGER

It has dips called crush zones near the front edge of the hood. When the car was in a head on the later hoods with these crush zones would buckle up rather than stay straight and be shoved back through the windshield. I would fill them in with sheetmetal and use the hood. Don't forget to wipe it a few times with wax and grease remover.
Sheldon

JS29

Correct me if i am wrong, mid year or so they started using the crumple zones from what i understand. if that is the case, a later later production car could have them correct.  :alan2cents:

YellowThumper

Awsome find!
Look forward to watching your progress.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

It would have to be pretty darn late. I've seen 70 hoods on 71's but never the other way around. :alan2cents: