Main Menu

The red on red 1970 Cuda project

Started by Wayne, May 19, 2019, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

So if I understand this correct. You are using an in tank ele pump. You are running a carburetor with return line. BTW I have mine setup this way as well.
My question is where is your regulator located?
Is it before the carb in feed line?
If yes then I recommend that regulator be placed after the carb feed and into the return side.
With regulator first, your carb will only receive what is allowed past the restriction. This could cause possible lean conditions along with some pressure fluctuations.
With regular after carb it then will regulate pressure of system with the fuel in essence being discarded. Carb will never be starved. It will always receive all the pump can supply.  :alan2cents:

Hope the return increase corrects your issue.
Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Wayne

Yes, electric pump in the tank.  FPR before the carb.  I saw that as an option in the Holley regulator instructions... just never known anyone to plumb it that way with a carburetor. 

I could plumb that way, would take some rerouting and a few new fittings but possible.

1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

YellowThumper

Quote from: Wayne on March 17, 2020, 04:30:19 PM
Yes, electric pump in the tank.  FPR before the carb.  I saw that as an option in the Holley regulator instructions... just never known anyone to plumb it that way with a carburetor. 

I could plumb that way, would take some rerouting and a few new fittings but possible.

Mine is installed as I described. Learned from following several turbo builds. The eventual plan for mine.
Again i hope the line change corrects it for you. Just another option to try if issue continues.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Wayne

Have had some extra time on my hands...seems like we all do.  My modified fuel pick up just arrived so I am going to work on that this weekend.  Although my gauges are still out and will be a few more weeks so won't be able to start it yet as all the wiring is disconnected behind the dash.

I have been looking into what air cleaner setup I wanted to run and what would fit while checking my hood clearance.  Decided I would make another video on what I decided on.  Might help someone, probably not lol but maybe entertaining.  Someone makes a special cameo appearance  :))

Wayne

My fuel pump sending unit came back from being upgraded with a 3/8" return. I was pleased with his work.  This should take care of my high fuel pressure issues.  I installed that with a Holley hydra Mat to help with not running out of fuel for the electric pump.

I ended up needing to replace my reverse switch as it was leaking and the thermostat gasket.

Good news now is my gauges are are on their way back from Redline.  I will get them next week....then I will be ready for another test drive.  I'm hoping this one goes alot smoother after addressing everything I found. 

JS29

Wayne

Quick update.... my fuel pressure is stabilized and the updated sending unit fixed it.   More on that later.

My dome light never worked...it was just missing it's bulb.  I like simple ones! :bigthumb: Picked up an LED to brighten things up.  I popped the cover off and saw they had painted the inside of the lens cover red!  Of course I had to give it a try ...remember this car has been off the road since 76.   I'm digging it for now.....yeah it's staying! :ohyeah:

JS29

Cudajason

Quote from: Wayne on April 28, 2020, 06:36:44 AM
Quick update.... my fuel pressure is stabilized and the updated sending unit fixed it.   More on that later.

My dome light never worked...it was just missing it's bulb.  I like simple ones! :bigthumb: Picked up an LED to brighten things up.  I popped the cover off and saw they had painted the inside of the lens cover red!  Of course I had to give it a try ...remember this car has been off the road since 76.   I'm digging it for now.....yeah it's staying! :ohyeah:

Wait a second...hey I follow you on Instagram.  I saw that pic this morning!!!  LOL

Looks cool.

Do you have a part number for the LED light?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Wayne

Quote from: Cudajason on April 28, 2020, 09:51:48 AM

Wait a second...hey I follow you on Instagram.  I saw that pic this morning!!!  LOL

Looks cool.

Jason

Hey Jason its a small world!  Who are you in IG?  The light # is 1142.  I bought them from superbrightleds.com

Wayne

My gauges came back from Redline and got them back in the car.  Getting them back in took some patience.  Wiring harness isn't long enough to make all the connections while the cluster is laying on the column.  They work great and with the new led's they are lit up nice now.  Its been raining the last few days so fired it up a few times and everything is working well.  I had to take the MSD tach adpater off.  Its not need anymore and it was causing the new tach to read high.  After I removed it its reading fine now.  It was great dealing with Shannon @ Redline.  Real impressive work.  These look incredible.   :banana:

BFM_Cuda

Cudajason

Quote from: Wayne on April 28, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on April 28, 2020, 09:51:48 AM

Looks cool.

Jason

Hey Jason its a small world!  Who are you in IG?  The light # is 1142.  I bought them from superbrightleds.com

Yeah it is a small world!

I am still me on IG   :haha: :haha: :haha:

My user name is CudaJas.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Wayne

I was able to wrap up a couple little projects and felt like it was as good a time as ever to take her on her first maiden voyage!  Things went pretty well.  No leaks, nothing fell off lol, didn't have to get towed back....  but I do have a few things I am going to address this week.  I had put new collector gaskets in the headers as I had a exhaust leak there...well it appears they are also leaking at the head.  It sounds pretty bad.  Alternator was acting up.  I don't think it has been working right as I have checked it and the battery and volts stay at 12.2 -12.6.  On the way back from my test drive the volt gauge pegged itself for a couple minutes which had me pretty nervous.  I am going to pull that off today and take it up to a little local shop I got it from.

But the main issue I have to deal with is a drivetrain vibration.  I knew I would have to do something with adding the gear vendors unit.  It starts around 3k rpm.  Its not speed dependent.  No vibration in neutral free revving the motor.  The motor dynoed fine.  I just picked up a good angle finder.  I didn't check my original trans angle as I didn't plan on this modification at the time so I am not sure what the original angle was.  But my angle now is 2.6 down.  Which seems off from what normal is... closer to 4 deg. down from what I've heard.  My driveshaft is shorter obviously.  My pinion stock was 2 deg. pointing down.  I have tried 3 & 2 deg. shims to rotate the pinion up and the 2 deg. was slightly better than the 3.  I ordered 1 deg. shims I will try next.  Before I do that I am going to spin the driveshaft 180 and re set it in the yoke.  Easy thing to try.  Part of me thinks I will have to modify the trans agle....which is not an easy thing to do.  There really isn't much room on the trans crossmember to modify it so the trans can sit lower.  Would have to cut it and and reweld it or just make a new one.  Either option I am not thrilled with.  But one thing at a time.

Made a little video of its first voyage

usraptor

Congrats on getting her out for her maiden voyage. :clapping:  I still remember mine like it was yesterday.  :banana:  Nothing like it.  I'm impressed that you resisted the urge to lite the tires a little.  I know I did, but it was partially due to the 4:10s and I wasn't use to the clutch or gears. (sure  :D) Nothing like rowing those gears.  It's always fun working out those little bugs.  I have a wind whistle with the driver's window down, of all things, that I can't figure out.  Thanks for the video and keep up the good work.  :bravo: :woohoo: