Main Menu

The red on red 1970 Cuda project

Started by Wayne, May 19, 2019, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Wayne

Thanks Brad, I appreciate it.  I tried using their new uppers but had some clearance issues with the adjuster nut and my new rim lip....ugh

So BIG news!  The new wheels and tires are on the car!  Yes, you will have to click on the video to find out the wheels for now...I will post pictures of the car in a few days for those who don't watch the videos which I understand...The car is not done....but its a big day and things are progressing although life is super busy this summer.  Did notice that even though I am not getting any air out of the lines and I thought they were bled good....still not great braking on the fist press of the brakes when I pulled it out of the garage today.  She did fire right up though.

1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

Brads70

Nice rims!  :bradsthumb: I have the same ones on my Challenger. I also have Falken tires ( 615K).  I've enjoyed them for around 10 years now. Customer service from team III wheels is great I needed 1 replacement rim due to a fender bender ( not my fault) and they delivered it to me just last week up here in Canada.2-3 weeks total. I'm pretty happy with that! I'm running 18x11 on all four corners. With 315/30/18 up front and 295/40/18 rear. Handles really well, I surprise a lot of people.
Enjoy the heck out of them!  Those tires are really nice grip wise! Mine have aged out time wise now and I need to replace them. I can definitely  feel the loss of grip due to age. Tire wear is pretty respectable! They are also not bad in the rain. I've driven to Carlisle a few times now ( 7 1/2 hours each way) and got caught in a bad rain storm on the way home once.

anlauto

Great Brad...blow the surprise for everyone else... :P  I  like the "?" rims  :))

ANOTHER GREAT VIDEO :worship: ....I'm glad to see you got power tools now...the video is shorter... :haha: :haha: :haha:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Wayne

Quote from: Brads70 on August 13, 2022, 04:32:32 PM
Nice rims!  :bradsthumb: I have the same ones on my Challenger. I also have Falken tires ( 615K).  I've enjoyed them for around 10 years now. Customer service from team III wheels is great I needed 1 replacement rim due to a fender bender ( not my fault) and they delivered it to me just last week up here in Canada.2-3 weeks total. I'm pretty happy with that! I'm running 18x11 on all four corners. With 315/30/18 up front and 295/40/18 rear. Handles really well, I surprise a lot of people.
Enjoy the heck out of them!  Those tires are really nice grip wise! Mine have aged out time wise now and I need to replace them. I can definitely  feel the loss of grip due to age. Tire wear is pretty respectable! They are also not bad in the rain. I've driven to Carlisle a few times now ( 7 1/2 hours each way) and got caught in a bad rain storm on the way home once.

Thanks Brad, yeah we messaged each other about sizes a while back.  I liked them on your car!

Quote from: anlauto on August 13, 2022, 06:57:08 PM
Great Brad...blow the surprise for everyone else... :P  I  like the "?" rims  :))

ANOTHER GREAT VIDEO :worship: ....I'm glad to see you got power tools now...the video is shorter... :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks Alan, yeah the wife got me the driver for my Bday last month.  I don't know how I lived without it lol.  Making vids now 10% shorter at least  :D

Wayne

I have a couple projects that I need to do on the car where I will need it up in the air but the weight of the car on the wheels.  I decided to build some wheel cribs.   I like the race ramps but didn't want to pay up for them. Fortunately my Dad has a bunch of lumber he offered up from a past project. They came out real nice and not even a break or flex when I put the car on them.  Was just a touch nervous honestly 😂

Wayne

I have to admit that things have taken longer than I would have liked the past couple months...but I decided to do all the welding which isn't much really myself on the car.  I need to weld in the subframe connectors and rear sway bar mounts.  I never really learned how to weld but decided I would put in the time and talk to people, watch some youtube videos and see if I could gain confidence to do this myself.  I have learned a lot and it has been fun yet challenging and frustrating at times and I have made some progress.  Some welds and angles are much more challenging than others. 

This is my second video....the first you is on my channel but really shows how much I sucked in the beginning...now I just suck less  :))

Happy to say I just finished welding in the first sub frame connector tonight and it went pretty good.

Wayne

Man does it feel good to get this project done.  Thus is the last piece I needed to install...now I can focus on getting this thing aligned so I can start driving it.

Overall the rear sway bar went on fine.  I did notice I tried installing based on being able to read the sticker on the bar ...but alas that ended up having the bar upside down  :(   After flipping it over I could tell that was the correct way.   

Wayne

Finally getting the car on the road after this years big projects!  Just in time for winter lol. 

Scheduled an appointment to get the car aligned at a local shop that has a good reputation and does a lot of work on old cars.  They did a good job and hit my target numbers.  Car drives great and my steering wheel is finally straight. 

Wanted to make a video and discuss alignment settings from what the manual says as well as more modem settings and what I ended up choosing

Wayne

As the driving season is just about over here in MI I was able to get things sorted out and and spend some time to do a review of the suspension, brakes & wheels and tires.  Many have asked me about my thoughts after the upgrades so I thought it would be fun to make another video and try and relay my thoughts on what the car is like....and a good excuse to get it out for some fun!

This one was a lot of fun to make, had some help from some friends...tons of editing...

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Brads70

Great job!  :clapping: Well built car!  As you mentioned warm weather will be very different. I found traction to be drastically different in summer weather. I also noticed as the tires aged out that they do not grip as well as when they were new. I was quite surprised how well they performed in rain, much better than I expected.
I'm currently using Falken Azenis 615k and they are 8-10? years old now and need to be replaced.
So don't be shy go use them up and get some miles on it next summer!  :burnout:

moparcar

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your journey on this. What you did is probably what a lot of guys/gals want to do!
Wes

Wayne

Quote from: anlauto on December 10, 2022, 06:09:25 AM
AWESOME  :veryexcited:

Thanks Alan!

Quote from: Brads70 on December 10, 2022, 06:43:28 AM
Great job!  :clapping: Well built car!  As you mentioned warm weather will be very different. I found traction to be drastically different in summer weather. I also noticed as the tires aged out that they do not grip as well as when they were new. I was quite surprised how well they performed in rain, much better than I expected.
I'm currently using Falken Azenis 615k and they are 8-10? years old now and need to be replaced.
So don't be shy go use them up and get some miles on it next summer!  :burnout:

Thanks Brad, thanks for being open when we discussed wheels and sizes.  I will definately not hold driving her now to save the tires thats for sure!

Quote from: moparcar on December 10, 2022, 11:06:55 AM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing your journey on this. What you did is probably what a lot of guys/gals want to do!
Wes

Thanks Wes, I appreciate and feel very fortunate

anlauto

So what's the future hold as far as more videos ?

Wayne

Quote from: anlauto on December 10, 2022, 02:47:05 PM
So what's the future hold as far as more videos ?

Yeah good question,  I Have more small projects to do and maintenance work I was thinking doing videos of.   I probably won't copy these here unless I think they bring value to this site though.  Was thinking of doing videos of cruising & driving/car events I want to do in the future.  See how those are received go from there.