Main Menu

1970 -1971 challenger fender differences

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 14, 2023, 06:19:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Anyone know why the factory added notches to the 1971 fenders? Was it for the grille or top plate?

A guy wants to buy my fenders without notches for his 71 but if he will be required to cut the notches, I'd like to warn him.

R/T's 4 R/P

The notches were cut in anticipation of the mounting of the grill for 1972.
The placement of the hood support bumper also moved during that time frame.
True 1970 fenders are a little bit harder to come by. It would be a shame to have somebody cut notches in those versions as 71 styles are a bit more available.

I would take a nice 70 fender in exchange for a 71 version I have!
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

JH27N0B

As far as I've been able to figure out, the notches weren't added until pretty late in the '71 production year cycle.
They seem to serve no purpose but were added in anticipation for the 72 model year for access to the headlights or grille I heard.
Why they would have added them at all in 71 rather than wait until 72 part's production doesn't make sense.
When the notches first started appearing I don't know, but if his car was built in '70 or even winter until early spring of 71, it's pretty safe to assume it didn't have notched fenders.

Floyd

1973Cuda

I have a '71 built in April but I have no idea what fender notches are and where to look for them? Does anyone have a pic?

1973Cuda

Nevermind. The pic posted while I was composing:)

Skdmark

I've had the opposite experience. I've been looking for a restorable production line 71 passenger fender for years with no luck.
If you have a good 71 fender (either passenger or driver side) that you are looking to sell let me know. I'm about 25 miles from Slinger.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Yup, the notches are not required for the 1971 grill at all.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

I'm putting my spare 1970-71 fenders for my convertible (Dec 1970 build date) and hardtop 71 Challengers on my 72 Challenger so I no longer have to store them. It allows me to get the car back on the road plus keeping me within my budget of less than $10k to have a complete Challenger for cruising. Notice, no notch. See photo.
Terry W.

70pumpkin

This thread got me curious as I don't know all the details of these cars.  Long time ago, I bought what was supposed to be a 70 fender from a junk yard -- turns out it was really a 71 (or later).  See attached pics of my two fenders - the 70 is original.  The 71 has a lot of holes -- what are they for?

71vert340

I have to tell a humorous story that the notch in the later fenders played a part in. In 1984, I saw an ad for a 70 Challenger SE with a 383 for sale at a very reasonable price. B5 blue with blue interior and white top. I went over, drove the car and told the man I wanted to buy it. I asked when the car was in an accident as the driver's front fender had the notch in it telling me it was a replacement fender. The owner got a little upset with me and insisted the car had never been in an accident. He asked what made me think it had been hit and I explained the notch and the color was a little off. He told me I was mistaken. I bought the car anyway. The next day when I came back to pick up the car, he told me he mentioned it to his 18 year old daughter about my questioning about an accident and the notch in the fender. The daughter confessed that while her parents were gone on a 2 week trip, she did have an accident while driving it and the left front fender had to be replaced. He told me it was the first he knew about it. We both laughed about how his daughter managed to cover it up until then. I later sold the car to Ben Snobar.
Terry W.

Skdmark

Quote from: 70pumpkin on May 16, 2023, 08:59:42 AM
This thread got me curious as I don't know all the details of these cars.  Long time ago, I bought what was supposed to be a 70 fender from a junk yard -- turns out it was really a 71 (or later).  See attached pics of my two fenders - the 70 is original.  The 71 has a lot of holes -- what are they for?

Your second photo looks like it is the over counter replacement version.
Looks like the hood bumper mount is missing. Compare it to the photo Floyd posted above.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

70pumpkin

afaik, the 71 fender is not a repro.  It was bought at least 35 years ago with a bunch of other challenger parts, way before repros were a thing.  That particular junkyard was known for having mopar stuff.

71vert340

I think what Skdmark was referring to was the fenders the
Mopar dealers were selling as replacement fenders in the 1970s.
Terry W.

Skdmark

Quote from: 71vert340 on May 17, 2023, 06:36:03 PM
I think what Skidmark was referring to was the fenders the
Mopar dealers were selling as replacement fenders in the 1970s.
Terry W.

Correct.
Over the counter replacement from Chrysler. Which differed from the production line fenders. I have one of each on my 71.
-Harlan Ellison