Main Menu

1973 Challenger REAR bumper Question...

Started by anlauto, October 29, 2020, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

This should be an easy one, because I know a lot of people have done this modification.....

My customer wants to ditch the 73 rear bumper, the 73 guards and the 73 brackets and the plastic/rubber filler pieces, in favor of 1970 stuff....

So he's using a 1970 Challenger rear bumper and mounting brackets....

So here's my question:

Does he require the 1970 only metal bumper filler piece that mounts below the tail lights ?

What did they do in 1972 ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

greentween

No filler piece required.

anlauto

So no visible gap between the bumper and tail lights ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

greentween

No. Shape of tail lights and also the middle panel is so different from 70 one that I don't think there is even room to use it.

318Stroker

Quote from: greentween on October 30, 2020, 08:25:26 AM
No. Shape of tail lights and also the middle panel is so different from 70 one that I don't think there is even room to use it.

There is absolutely room to use it. When I moved the bumpers in on my 73, I used the filler piece with no fitment issues. I agree that it's not necessary and you probably wouldn't notice, but when looking down on my bumper, I could see the gap, so I used it. One of those things where I'm the only one to know.

dodj

I was told I would need it so I bought the AMD piece. You can get by without it, but I think it is a bit better with it.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill