Main Menu

1971 Rear Bumper Guard Question, Not Flush With Lower Rear Valance W/ PICS

Started by Daveh, July 18, 2017, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

GrandpaKevin, just a thought, but I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Those lower guards on '70-72 Challengers, I've noticed that some have the rubber cushion attached and some don't. If guards were used that required the cushions, they would have said cushions attached, but, if not than instead of purchasing the correct guards (sans cushions)  put little chrome headed bolts to fill the cushion holes. Just something to think about. Hmmmm.    Thanks,   Al

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 70/6chall on July 18, 2017, 06:50:10 PM
GrandpaKevin, just a thought, but I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Those lower guards on '70-72 Challengers, I've noticed that some have the rubber cushion attached and some don't. If guards were used that required the cushions, they would have said cushions attached, but, if not than instead of purchasing the correct guards (sans cushions)  put little chrome headed bolts to fill the cushion holes. Just something to think about. Hmmmm.    Thanks,   Al

Yes I think your right about previously having the rubber guards so they filled the holes but....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-Challenger-Rear-Bumper-Guards-Set-Left-Right-/162566130795?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

...it appears the correct ones with the rubber have an open bottom?
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=75106.0

70/6chall

After going back and reviewing the pics. The FC7, 71 Challengers of GrandpaKevin, the rear bumpers are bothering me. On the first car I see bumper Jack slots in face of the bumper for the hook on the bumper Jack. On the second car w/ the questionable guards I see NO slots in bumper face. Maybe a '70 bumper with notch in bottom of bumper for the cradle on the Jack lift. My '70 Challenger has the notches under the bumper for Jack w/ cradle. My guards came from the factory w/ cushions.   Thanks,   Al

1 Wild R/T

The ones with the rubber strip are for cars with the A05 protection group or optional front bumper guards... The front guards always have pads....

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 70/6chall on July 18, 2017, 07:06:51 PM
After going back and reviewing the pics. The FC7, 71 Challengers of GrandpaKevin, the rear bumpers are bothering me. On the first car I see bumper Jack slots in face of the bumper for the hook on the bumper Jack. On the second car w/ the questionable guards I see NO slots in bumper face. Maybe a '70 bumper with notch in bottom of bumper for the cradle on the Jack lift. My '70 Challenger has the notches under the bumper for Jack w/ cradle. My guards came from the factory w/ cushions.   Thanks,   Al

Even though they are both 1971 Challengers the earlier January SPD built one has a number of 1970 correct items, one of the major ones is the shock access bolts in the trunk come in from the top like a 1970 Challenger while the June build car shock bolt access holes come in from the rear like the later 1971-74 cars.
I think the earlier built car originally came with the 1970 style non slotted bumpers(which it still has) while the later built one came with the slotted bumpers(which it still has)

70/6chall

Originally, because my '70 is a very early SPD build 8/18 out of LA. The '70 bumpers, of course, and the bumper guards front and back w/ the rubber cushions. During the years I had it pressed into daily driver duty. I changed, to the dismay and chagrin of a lot of the MOPAR purists and the ones who just didn't care for what I did at all, I removed my '70 guards and replaced them with the '74 large govt. mandated block style rubber overrides. I knew they weren't correct but they were there solely for protection, the originals I still have. The rear pads did a couple times protected  the rear from some errant drivers.   Thanks,   Al

Daveh

So is it the general consensus that an NOS pair of bumper guards is the way to go?  Or are there any other alternatives?  Thanks

1 Wild R/T

I would think decent used ones shouldn't be to hard to find... Might have to re chrome them....

MoparDave

I would grind down to get them to a desired spot that you like. And then have them re chromed.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Burdar

That's what I was going to suggest.  You can make a cardboard template of the curve of the bumper.  Then transfer/scribe that curve onto the bumper guards.  You would have a mark to grind up to that way.  Since you already have the guards, that's probably your cheapest route.  Not sure what used originals sell for...that still need to be rechromed.

I had to do that with my 73 guards.  The chroming process changed the fitment of the guard to the bumper.  I had to do some grinding to make them fit. I ended up just painting the edge where I had to grind.  If you're careful, you might not have to rechrome them...at least right away.  Paint the lip that will be touching the bumper.

farmboy70

Here are a few from a 70 Challenger and a 71 convertible.
70 is original bumper and 71 is a repop.
Dave
B;ue car is the 71.

Claudia

Quote from: Daveh on July 18, 2017, 02:09:40 PM
Hi guys,

I just installed my new rear bumper in my 71 Challenger convertible.  It looks great.  I went to install the new AMD bumper guards and they seem to sit out pretty far from the rear valance.  I do have the bracket for the bottom of the guard but it still leaves it out sitting pretty far.  Any thoughts?

I don't want to force it, for one I really can't and I don't want to force the bottom in because It would eventually chip the new chrome on the bumper.  What are your thoughts?  Is it sitting out from the valance acceptable?  Thanks

I'm using the AMD # 0106-980-2570 guards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00THJVRAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave

I do not have any experience with a '71 Challenger but I recently did a '71 Cuda.  I used AMD guards as well and the fit was horrible to say the very least . . . as in they wouldn't even sit down on the bumper flush.  I ended up with the grind and test fit for hours method to get them to look half way decent.  :alan2cents: