Main Menu

26" core support measurements request

Started by Flatdad, February 28, 2022, 05:57:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Flatdad

I'm currently replacing my 22" passenger side core support with a 26" piece. The new piece is mocked up on the car. Everything is measuring square, but I noticed the physical opening is only 25.75". Is this the same as factory or should it be a true 26 inches? The more important measurement I'm needing is the center to center distance between the upper weld nuts that mount the rad. An internet search of old threads turned up 28", but figured I better ask the 'wisemen' of e-bodies.org.

-Thanks

71vert340

The physical opening on my 71 Challenger is 26.75 inches. The top bolt to bolt measurement is about 28 inches.
Terry W.

headejm

@Flatdad  1970 Challenger 26" radiator originally w/ AC.

Center to center top radiator bolt spacing = 28"
Opening near top radiator bolts = 26 3/4"

Corrected. Like Terry W. said!

Flatdad

Thank you guys!  :thankyou:

Thinking I must have misread my tape measure at 25.75", especially after seeing your picture. The placement of my piece looks awfully similar to yours, can't wait to get home to double check.

Flatdad

Well now I'm truly confused. I double checked, triple checked, and scratched my head. I have 27.5" center to center on the bolts, and 25.75" in the opening.

BUT, the slots in the upper core support match EXACTLY with the slots in the left and right core support pieces. On top of that, the way mine looks, matches your picture when it comes to spacing in relation to the frame rails.

I think the only way to resolve this on my end is dig the 26" radiator out of storage and see how it fits (or doesn't fit).

FE5CUDA

You can change just the one side and make it work, however, both sides are different from a 22" and 26" radiator.

Flatdad

Thanks FE5CUDA, I just got back to this thread to post that, lol.

I just got done with a dig through the depths of the internet and found out today that both sides are, in fact different!

B5fourspeed

I have done 2 of these conversions.The first one 12 year ago the spacing was perfect for the radiator.The Second one I did 5 years ago and the spacing came  up a little short.The radiator in place will help you get it close enough.I feel that the maker of the 2nd conversion piece was made wrong.