Main Menu

70 Challenger R/T color change from original yes/No?

Started by Marksmopar1, September 27, 2018, 05:01:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marksmopar1

Hi all...

So, I have a new toy, 70 Challenger R/T 440 Auto # match, buildsheet ETC. It was taken apart painted then left under a tarp outdoors not put back together for 10-12 years! The car was painted a non Mopar Red from its original FT6 (Dark Tan Met) black longitudinal stripes and hood black out. I need to repaint it as the outdoor storage caused some issues. The FT6 is not something I am groove'in on. I am thinking FE5 Red.
Here is the question.... Does it matter, changing the color, effect value, or just do whatever color a guy wants?
  IMO the Red is much more appealing FE5. I want to go with a 70 offered Red color (FE5) at the very least if I dont go original (FT6), The current Red is from unknown whatever, nice color though.
Thoughts...I guess is what I seek.
  Thanks!

JH27N0B

In this case I don't think you will hurt the value much if you stay with a changed color.
I have a burnt orange and a dark autumn bronze Challenger in my little fleet, and these colors have grown on me over time.  I've gotten bored with seeing all the high impact cars, and red (my T/A is red BTW).  I'm in the minority though, my garage is sort of an island of unwanted toys!  I've had the '71 on the market for some time now, best I can come up with is that it's root beer color restricts interest.
Tastes change, who knows, in 10 years browns and greens might be in demand! But no one has a crystal ball to predict.
You should do what pleases you, if you don't like brown and like red, go with red. :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  FT6 can be a great color when it's done fresh, but resale red is always going to be easier to sale  if you have to.  It might hurt the overall value a bit, but will open the car up to more buyers that like red.  Plus if you don't like FT6 then it does not make a lot of sense to paint it a color you don't like.  If you are doing it to sell and make a profit, just sell the car now and get a color you want.  If you are planning to keep and enjoy the car, then FE5 would be great.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Unless your MAIN goal is to sell it, I would say paint it a 1970 colour like FE5 that you like, after all, you'll be driving it all the time.

By changing the colour you may limit the resale value only slightly in this case, but you'll increase the resale potential immensely in my opinion. A lot more people would buy a red car over a Dark Tan. Especially in the value range we're talking about....If it was a six figure Hemi car then everything changes.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I would paint it FT6 but with a white longitudinal stripe and a hood blackout, no matter what the tag says. I am not an FT6 fan but I think with the stripes it would stand out from the crowd and not be unpleasant in the least.
Sheldon

Marksmopar1

Thanks!

Yes the answers were what I expected. I was curious to opinions from the people on the know!
This is my first E Body so I am interested in how this all rolls out. I am an A body guy Big block to be specific.
67 Barracuda 383-S Auto. 69 Barracuda 383-S 4 speed and a 69 Dart Convert (GTS street Rod) 440-4speed
The two Barracudas are real cars and I am sticking to the original colors Y4 Gold on the 69 and EE1 Blue on the 67.
  This is why I ask about the 70 Challenger....But in this case I will likely go with what I want FE5 Red....Hell its already been changed anyway lol
   Still. I like the opinions...great stuff!

tparker

Hmmm....
I would prefer the original color, but sometimes that color isn't the best. It's already repainted, so I don't think you should care about resell value since it already not the original color. I would repaint it something you dig, but the problem is it is a lot of work. Door jams and hinges, nuts and bolts, inside trunk and engine compartment. Lots of stuff to tear down. ack. Myself, I was lucky enough to have gotten mine prior to the insane skyrocketing prices, so it's easy for me to say don't worry about the resell value. Have fun with the car. They weren't built to be investments. LOL

Marksmopar1

I agree... I am not concerned with resale, I am keeping it, not selling or flipping at least that is the plan and I did do very well with the purchase.
I think yes, do it a color I like...Not sure I can live with the original color Dark Tan Metallic FT6 for very long.
   Looking around I dont see many FT6 cars,,,I have although seen a number of them with color changes.

nsmall

Quote from: Marksmopar1 on September 27, 2018, 06:17:53 PM
  Thanks!

Yes the answers were what I expected. I was curious to opinions from the people on the know!

These people "on the know" often side on fender tag colors so keep that in mind as they are voting for a color change (besides Runcharger)  Life is short and picking the right color that you can enjoy and others might like is something you seem to get.   

Just wondering, but if you did get a great deal, no chance you can clean it up some, and flip it?  Painting can get real expensive fast and maybe there is a car already done to your taste that can be had before you open up the car and find yourself going through a real mess?

Marksmopar1

I get the flip and find something more in line of what I would want Color ETC. Yes it was a great deal, but it is in really great shape. No rust and just some paint issues, the seats only have the drivers lower messed up. Actually just some clean up and its good to go. I figure you are correct on the clean up and sell. But I can drive it for a few years and then do that as well...same outcome I suppose. Good deal, reasonable investment and then sell after a few years of driving. I may not get the big bucks like some on here but I win either way because of the original investment.
   Fun car just the same and in the end it is just a car and its fun...like it should be! Hey, if I put out a lot of cash for this car I would be thinking quite differently.
  It is kind of one of those situations, I just got it, not yet done playing with it lol It will be real nice when completed no matter the color and who ever buys it then has a choice to go back or stay wit what it is. It is after all just a number on a tag and a personal preference as an owner. Also, the average person at a show doesn't care and doesn't know color codes ETC...they just like what they see.  Actually don't we all? :)  Fun stuff this is!

Chryco Psycho

If you are keeping it have fun with it & build it your way Trailer queens are no fun anyway as everyone is paranoid about what if something happens to it

Marksmopar1

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 27, 2018, 10:44:44 PM
If you are keeping it have fun with it & build it your way Trailer queens are no fun anyway as everyone is paranoid about what if something happens to it

YES! agree 100%. I have friends with "show Poodles" they never drive. I think its their retirement plan cash invested in the car lol No way I am going there!

Katfish

If it's already red and you're repainting, why stick with a 70 color?
There are so many modern colors that really pop.
Find a red you like and go for it.

mopar thunder

I agree with everyone. Paint it what you like and have fun and enjoyment with it. If there's ever a time to sell it you can deal with it then. It's already changed so do what you like.  :bradsthumb:

chargerdon

Paint it the color you like...and enjoy it...   Red will bring more interest than the tan anyways...   So win win.