Main Menu

70 Challenger R/T Convertible Windshield Trim Removal Help Needed

Started by schlett7nu1, November 27, 2022, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

I've got a 70 Challenger R/T 440 convertible survivor car with 28k miles on it. Car still shows very nice.  One visual distraction are the small dents and scratches on the windshield trim.  It's clearly never been removed and retains a significant amount of factory installed sealant.  Getting at the trim retention clips will be very difficult with all the sealant between the trim and original windshield.  As a winter project I'd like to remove all the trim and send it out for restoration.  I'm fearful of damaging the trim or cracking the original windshield. Before I begin I'd appreciate any guidance from those who have done this as well as a recommendation as to who to send the trim off to for restoration.  Any help is appreciated.

anlauto

It will be impossible to remove the "wide" trim without first removing the windshield.  :alan2cents:

The removal of the windshield trim is easier with the correct tool and a lot of patience. Chipping of the windshield is too common otherwise.

If everything is 100% original and not been messed with in the last 50 years, then it should go fairly easy without having a lot of goop to fight...
Pulling the windshield can be accomplished without breaking it, but again will take a lot of patience  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

schlett7nu1

Thanks for the response.  I now see the windshield must be removed in order to remove the wide trim.  Most of the damage is on the wide trim.  I'll need to rethink timing and project cost.  I may coordinate it with dash pad replacement.  There are significant cracks emanating from the speaker corners.  Dash pad replacement would be easier with the windshield out.  Likely a future project.

Banana

Agree with all Alan's comments

When the shop removed my wide vert header trim, they did bend it badly due to the factory sealant was just solid and prevented easy removal. The metal shop tried their best, but wasn't able to straighten the trim 100%. Totally aggravating and very expensive.

Also no doubt to do the dash pad with windshield out......extremely difficult to get at the dash pad bolts and line up pad properly with windshield in...but as you do that you will find more and more to do..........