Previous topic Next topic

340challconvert

Old parts exchange manual page
Part number on the back of one of my NOS fenders

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

6bblgt

the "notched" fenders didn't start to appear until mid-1971 model year
the "notch" is NOT required for the '71 Challenger, it is a mounting point for the '72-'74 fiberglass Challenger header panel

the earliest '71 I've seen "notched" fenders on was March '71 production - anyone know of an earlier example?

mike ketterer

i had a 1969 roadrunner convertible that had a factory square nut where the hood bumper screws in it also. was original to the car so i left it that way

GoMangoBoys

This is funny to see this post.  I just found out last week from Mike Ross that we have this exact same situation.  The RH front fender is different from the LH.   I never even noticed it.  I was commenting on the fact that I thought the fender had been replaced when he pointed out that my RH fender was a 71.  He suggested that it was probably NOS as all the previous bodywork on the car had been done about 20 years ago.  Had I known this BEFORE we painted the car, I would have modified the RH to be correct.  As it is, we will live with it being wrong.  Only MOPAR guys will probably ever notice.

gto105

Hello all, i am the process of restoring a 70 T/A that i purchased from a friend last year.   With it i have a pair of NOS never used fenders #3579624 and a 3579625 that believe are for a T/A with 14" tires.   Am i correct?

anlauto

Quote from: gto105 on September 11, 2022, 01:20:01 PM
Hello all, i am the process of restoring a 70 T/A that i purchased from a friend last year.   With it i have a pair of NOS never used fenders #3579624 and a 3579625 that believe are for a T/A with 14" tires.   Am i correct?

You mean 15" tires, no T/A ever had 14"s
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gto105

JH27N0B

It has been said forever that T/As were supposed to get special 15" fenders, but I've never seen any evidence that production T/As ever got a different fender than any other '70 Challenger. Other than no antenna hole in the passenger fender of course.
I have a T/A I've owned since I was a teen in the late 70s and did a concours restoration on, so have looked at this issue for a long time. I even put a new "71" driver side 15" fender on it I bought at a dealer in 1980 when I thought it needed a 15" fender. I don't claim to know it all, but am sharing what I could figure out on this.

gto105

Understood, thank you for your assistance...

Did you have issues with hood bumpers and hood pins lining up.

Joe

JH27N0B

It's been 6 years since I reassembled the car, but I don't recall a bumper being anywhere near the hood pin.

gto105

Isn't there a hood bumper and a hood pin?

anlauto

Yes, and there is two different hood bumper/adjuster locations through-out the years, but neither one interfered with the factory hood pin location  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gto105

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on September 11, 2022, 01:27:17 PM

You mean 15" tires, no T/A ever had 14"s

Do they have the notch in them.

And there are other differences. Like location of the hood bumpers and holes around the headlight buckets.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

gto105

yes they have notches have to check the other holes, buckets look good just want to double check..