Main Menu

73 Challenger - Rear Bumper, What am I doing Wrong?

Started by Marty73, June 24, 2021, 10:07:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty73

Where the brackets mount to the body - off about 1/2 an inch. These are the same brackets & bumper that came off the car many years ago when I started the project. Not sure what i have wrong...any ideas?

1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Burdar

Those don't look like 73 brackets.  They look like 74's.  Those brackets don't mount directly to the bumper.  74 has a thick bumper support that mounts behind the bumper.  The brackets then mount to that reinforcement.

73 uses a different style bumper bracket and a thick bumper support as well.  For what it's worth, it looks like the brackets are mounted on the wrong side anyway.  Switch them side to side and see how they fit.

Marty73

To clarify, where the brackets mount to the body - they are about 1/2 inch off horizontally  - I would need to grind about 1/2 an inch to move the bumper to bolt the whole assembly onto the body
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Marty73

Interesting, there was no bumper support when it came off the car - just directly mounted like I have done. Maybe the previous owner removed it to tighten up the fitment?
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Burdar

I modified my original response.  Switch the brackets side to side(or flip them around) and see if it fits then.

The reinforcement is shown in the factory drawing you posted.

Marty73

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, if they still don't fit guess I'm going back to ebay for a reinforcement.

Thank you!
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Burdar

If that's how it was mounted on the car when you got it, it should fit now.  I think the brackets are just on the wrong side or you need to flip them around.

Cudajason

Quote from: Burdar on June 24, 2021, 10:13:48 AM
I modified my original response.  Switch the brackets side to side(or flip them around) and see if it fits then.

The reinforcement is shown in the factory drawing you posted.

Agreed.  they looks like they are upside down to me.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Marty73

So when I flip them, the 90 degree still goes on the outside correct?
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Burdar

Marty73

FWIW The brackets were on right, but the right side was bent (didn't sit flat) bumper is on with two bolts. I'm not happy about it, but it's on...
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack