Main Menu

'70 Cuda Grill Options

Started by b5cuda, November 13, 2017, 08:08:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hi, I need a '70 grill for my project (goal is a daily driver, not a show car).  I see brand new grill sets, with headlamp surrounds and chrome, everything but the parking lights, available for $430 - 470.  My questions are two; is there any advantage to looking for a used grill that probably needs repair?  And if I buy a reproduction, is there a better brand, or are they all coming from the same manufacturer?  Appreciate your opinions, thanks!

Cuda Cody

The first person I would suggest calling would be @MoparDave   :yes:  I've heard really good things about the 70 reproduction grilles.  Let Dave know that you are with the E-Bodies.org club and he will take great care of you.

1 Wild R/T

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one.... 15 years ago I personally saw an NOS one sell for $7500.. Patched up broken originals were selling for $1000 or more.... Now you can buy a new repo for half that...

MoparDave

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=70+cuda+grille&search_in_description=1&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

my  :alan2cents: is that even if it just a drive. 47 year old plastic of any type is brittle and can be costly to fix let alone the time to fix. Just depends on
1. Do you need all of the pieces?
2. Do you want the grille assembly with lamps already painted argent or black?
3. are you painting the grille any specific color besides argent or black?
4. the important one. What all do you want to spend.

when it comes down to it. there are 2 grilles on the market. the goodmark grille and the BEA grille. LMK
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

HP_Cuda

Usually comes down to paint or not to paint.

I would Dave a call!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

I would recommend getting one already painted. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

:iagree:

Thats what I did and Dave delivered!   :twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RUNCHARGER

I would get one painted as well. Sometimes argent can be hard to lay down even especially on a piece that is hard to access evenly like a grille.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I agree completely , these original grilles are almost 50 years old & brittle  , only buy new now

b5cuda

Thanks the replies and tips, very helpful!  Sounds like buying 'new' makes more sense than patching up old plastic, unless it's an all-numbers-matching car.  I'm still wondering what the quality differential is between different vendors - internet price ranges from $430 for "Goldenstar" grill sets to $700+ for the same hardware from other suppliers.  Has anyone had firsthand experience with the cheaper reproduction grills, to verify quality and fit?       

MoparDave

as mentioned the base kit is the same piece/mfg that everyone is selling. beside the painted kit from BEA there are only 2 grilles on the market.

I just replied to your email.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

HEMICUDA

There are only x2 reproduction grilles made no matter who's selling them, Goodmark or B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc, there is a big difference.  B/E & A made the grille in partnership with MOPAR.  The Goodmark grille has issues, the trim is totally wrong and fits terrible.  The B/E & A grille has the correct trim, the parking lights fit without modifying the grille, and all the small detail in the grille is present.  If you need new parking light assemblies?  B/E & A is the only place on the planet you're going to get them, they will cost you $325 as a member of this website.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

b5cuda

Yes, very helpful!  Thanks everyone for the education.

GY3R/T

Quote from: HEMICUDA on November 14, 2017, 07:39:26 AM
There are only x2 reproduction grilles made no matter who's selling them, Goodmark or B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc, there is a big difference.  B/E & A made the grille in partnership with MOPAR.  The Goodmark grille has issues, the trim is totally wrong and fits terrible.  The B/E & A grille has the correct trim, the parking lights fit without modifying the grille, and all the small detail in the grille is present.  If you need new parking light assemblies?  B/E & A is the only place on the planet you're going to get them, they will cost you $325 as a member of this website.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have compared BE&A's grill trim to originals and BE&A's trim is not close. It is too fat ( as in bulging ). The tapered ends of the upper and lower trim are not well defined.  IMHO the goodmark trim is much closer to factory original, with crisper lines. FWIW, There is a differance between the upper and lower Factory trim. But neither sellers address this.  I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but i call it like i see it. And feel you guys should know my experience with purchasing both grills and having NOS grills.