Main Menu

Driveshaft Resto: Another Evapo-o-rust Success Story

Started by Floyd, May 02, 2021, 04:53:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FE5CUDA

Quote from: Mr Lee on May 05, 2021, 05:33:14 AM
My friend and I just did the inside of his motorcycle gas tank with evaporust.  In 24 hrs it was like new inside.

I'd be really surprised if there was rubber in a driveshaft. I had my driveshaft and upper control arms powder coated flat clear and they look great. 
2k miles on the car and no problems.
Sorry i dont have a better pic at the moment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your slip joint for the transmission should be on the other end of the drive shaft.  There is two rubber donuts with a metal sleeve on the inside of the drive shaft on the transmission side.

JS29

:iagree: The member FE5CUDA made a good catch on that one.  :bravo:

Mr Lee

Quote from: FE5CUDA on May 05, 2021, 07:44:46 AM
My friend and I just did the inside of his motorcycle gas tank with evaporust.  In 24 hrs it was like new inside.

I'd be really surprised if there was rubber in a driveshaft. I had my driveshaft and upper control arms powder coated flat clear and they look great. 

Your slip joint for the transmission should be on the other end of the drive shaft.  There is two rubber donuts with a metal sleeve on the inside of the drive shaft on the transmission side.
I am going to have to check to see if I left it like that when I installed it.  Thanks!

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Mrbill426

Yep that stuff works great!  :bigthumb:

Mrbill426

Does that stuff dry "clear" then?

Quote from: FE5CUDA on May 05, 2021, 02:59:01 AM

Wipe the shaft down with black oxide, wash it off with hot water and blow dry immediately.  Take 0000 steel wool and polish the complete shaft, much of the black oxide will come off leaving a perfect bare metal finish.  Next, take a propane torch to the top and bottom welds, that will give you the blue type heat finish as it was when made.  You still have to coat the shaft to prevent rust, you can spray on Eastwoods Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust, wipe it off before it dries completely.
[/quote]

1972V21Cuda