Main Menu

70 Cuda tail panel trim installation advice

Started by CamasCuda, August 16, 2017, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CamasCuda

Gent's, about to begin the tail panel trim installation. See photo.  I have prefit the trim to make sure it all fits, need a minor tweak to the lower long straight piece is required.  I purchased the clips, see photo.   I'll get to the point, I will research where the old holes were, the point is were, because they are long gone now after restoration process.  Looking for a little help on which clip type goes where and recommendations on install techniques, please.   For example, start with each of the four pieces individually and then take off and then take off, slide together, and re clip.  from studying the old photos AFTER sand blasting (FYI tail panel was totally replaced), I get a total count of 20 connections, inside the tail lights there's 5 top & bottom, looks like these were plastic clips, then around the tail plights it gets a little sketchy, looks like 2 top & bottom with 1 mid way between.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Shane Kelley

This is how I did mine. 3 metal studs go on the C shape trim on the ends. They get installed after the long pieces. Install the plastic retainers in the panel first. Starting at one end slide it across through the plastic retainers. Tape up the end of your quarter panel really good. 2 or 3 layers. The molding will rub on that while your sliding in on. Be careful that the leading edge is not gouging the paint while sliding it on. Make sure your holes are the correct size for the plastic retainers. To small and they will break installing them. To big and they won't hold. After you drill the holes be sure and touch up the bare metal with some primer before installing your clips. Below are some pics of mine. You can see the hole orientation.  Red circle is metal stud. Blue circle is plastic retainer. Best pics I could find.  Hope it helps you!

anlauto

Put all the white plastic clips on the car, then snap the long pieces of trim in place and then screw the corners on.... :alan2cents: Simple
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

I used these instead.  I tried the plastic clips but because of that small lip on the edge of the plastic retainers the molding didn't sit flush against the trunk and I wasn't happy with the way the molding looked.  These worked great.  Good luck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Dodge-yellow-zinc-moulding-clips-nuts-with-sealer-assortment-/141260868122?hash=item20e3cdca1a

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on August 16, 2017, 12:21:44 PM
Put all the white plastic clips on the car, then snap the long pieces of trim in place and then screw the corners on.... :alan2cents: Simple
Some of that repop stuff will try to dent or bend the lip pushing it on the clips. That's why I ended up sliding it on from the end. The original stuff is more rigid.

CamasCuda

thanks a ton, great advice.   i'll take your pictures and some of mine.  scale them in computer and get the spacing on the holes.  provide that in a later feedback.    I did the same thing for the strobe placement, couldn't find any placement diagrams, so I took a ton of pictures, scaled them on the computer and came up with common placement markers! 

thanks again

CamasCuda

I'll take a run with what  I have, and remove if necessary.  it's been 20 years since I've put trim on.   see photo of vette restoration,  yes... I know not a mopar.  :'(

CamasCuda

Took my time last night, got all the holes spaced and marked.  For the plastic clips, shown in prev photo, a 3/16" drill bit worked perfectly!  Started small and worked up till I found the perfect fit.   lower bottom trim installed (slid on) last night and fit perfectly! very tight.   thanks for the advice on triple taping everything in site!

I've included some hole spacing's, for future information.  its not the factory holes, but its what I could generate from photos. 

Daveh

B5fourspeed

I have repop trim and fasteners.I slid the bottom one in and it is nice and tight to the body.Alan,I tried to snap the top trim but I want to ask you if you snap the trim up or down to seat the trim.Thanks

B5fourspeed

I set the top of trim in the clip and snapped it in place.Thank you for the advice Alan it worked great.You can sure tell when it snaps into place.

Shoooter

I know this is a old thread  BUT when you put the white clips into the tail panel do you push in the plastic stud or do take those out and push them in from the trunk side once the trim is on?

Rich G.

I push them right in otherwise the clip will fall out.

Shoooter

Should they push in by hand? Mine are tight

FE5CUDA

The bottom leg of the corner trim was held on with a spring clip originally similar to the ones used for the access holes on the inner fenders except much smaller, you'll never get the nut on the stud since there's no room between the tail panel and the trunk floor.  Tom at R/T Specialties has the correct spring clips.