Main Menu

Tail Panel Trim Installation

Started by Gary AAR, March 22, 2022, 06:55:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Need some help, tips, tricks for installing the tail panel trim on my 70 Cuda.  I am installing the original trim pieces with a reproduction kit of clips that I bought from YearOne.  I was able to install most of the white plastic clips that hold the long straight trim pieces to the tail panel using hand pressure (had to lightly tap a couple of them in with a hammer).  I then used a hammer to tap the round cylinder part of the clip into the body of the clip.  As I understand, this is supposed to expand the splayed ends of the clip locking the clip to the tail panel.  When I did this, I noticed several of the splayed ends broke off.  The clips still seemed to be held fairly secure to the tail panel, so I proceeded to install the trim piece by sliding it onto the clips from one end.  I didn't get very far before the end clip popped loose from the tail panel.  What am I doing wrong?  Has anyone else experienced the splayed ends breaking off during installation?
A couple of thoughts I had moving forward:
1.   Slightly enlarge the holes in the tail panel so that the splayed ends of the clip have more room to expand when tapping in the round cylinder.  I did not remove any paint/primer prior to my first attempt at installing the clips.  What should the hole diameter in the tail panel be to provide a good fit for the clip?
2.   Use a heat gun to slightly warm up the clips prior to installation, hopefully making them more flexible and less prone to breaking.
3.   Find a better quality clip kit than the one I bought from YearOne.  What source did you use for a clip kit that provided a successful installation?
4.   All of the above???
Thanks for the help.

anlauto

With the trim on the bench, can you push, with minimal effort one of the white clips into the trim, or does the clip seem too wide ?

I've found some aftermarket clips too wide and it's a real pain in the ass to get the trim on.

Once you've determined the clips fit the trim okay, then you can get them to fit the car. cleaning out any paint or filler from the holes is a must. Yes I've seen the tabs break off before and never worried if it was just one per clip...

How I install the trim is much different then the technique you're using. With all the clips in place, I hold the trim centered where I want it, then sort of hook the top of the clips and firmly push the trim at each clip until they click into place, or whack it with the palm of my hand. A little white grease on each clip doesn't hurt either :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Gary AAR

@alnauto - thanks for the response.  I tried to install one of the clips on the bench, but could not get it to snap in.  It is too big to push into the trim.  The main body of the clip is wider than the opening in the trim.  In addition, the clip also has small thinner "wings" on both sides that extend beyond the main body.  Should the main body of the clip be a very light press fit into the trim, and then the "wings" snap into the trim to provide the secure fit of the trim to the clip?

I will be buying some new clips to hopefully find ones with a better fit.  I see Roseville, Classic Ind, and PG Classics all sell them.  Has anyone tried one of these suppliers and had success installing their clips?

Thanks for the help.

FE5CUDA

Buy the clips from R/T Specialties, they are correct and Tom also includes the special spring clip for the bottom leg on the "C" trim.

70_440-6Cuda

Need some help from the experts please... I purchased a stash of Mopar stuff locally, and am hoping the 2 pieces of trim in the photos are for the tail panel, can anyone confirm?  Also, is there a technical drawing for the install and attaching hardware - the 2 pieces that I am referring to have different attaching hardware.  I can see where the holes were filled on my tail panel when PO shaved the trim.  Trying to confirm if these are the upper and lower pieces, and how they are supposed to attach - thanks all
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

They sure look like the correct pieces,  :rubeyes: they attach with plastic clips, sold as a kit.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70_440-6Cuda

Check out the clips currently installed - that was throwing me off..... one has threaded studs, the other a spring style clip..

Also, any way to tell if original or repops - they do not have the flimsy feel of repop, but  :notsure:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

fc7cuda

Note that the top and bottom pieces are not identical, kinda like the grill trim.

anlauto

Quote from: fc7cuda on November 09, 2022, 11:04:16 AM
Note that the top and bottom pieces are not identical, kinda like the grill trim.
What's different about them ?

FE5CUDA

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on November 08, 2022, 03:53:14 PM
Check out the clips currently installed - that was throwing me off..... one has threaded studs, the other a spring style clip..

Also, any way to tell if original or repops - they do not have the flimsy feel of repop, but  :notsure:

The spring clips in the your trim go in the bottom of the "C" trim.  The threaded clips you have, unless they are potmetal for cutter nuts, don't belong there.  The two long trim are snapped on plastic clips, the corners had two slide in plates with potmetal studs and thread cutter nuts.  The bottom spring clip on the bottom of the corner trim was an after thought by MOPAR since there's no way to put a thread cutter nut on the bottom of the "C" trim because the tail light panel is way to close to the trunk floor for the cutter nut to fit.  Ask @anlauto he'll tell you about the lower spring clips on the corner trim, I was at Mike's shop at BEA when he was working on a purple convertible he did for a customer where he removed the trim to install them since there wasn't anything there holding it down.  I had no clue what all the correct clips should be until he showed me.  Mike told me he reproduced that special clip for Tom at R/T Specialties and it's only used on the lower corner of the "C" trim of the 70-71 Cuda.

MEGA Parts has the correct clip kit for the tail panel trim, however, they do not have the special spring clip for the bottom leg of the "C" trim that R/T Specialty has.

70_440-6Cuda

@FE5CUDA that is great information - thank you, extremely helpful!  I am ordering some reference manuals next week to help with some of these details, but this forum is the best resource becuase it generates more questions and answers I may be unaware of :cheers: