Main Menu

70 vs 71-74 Mirrors?

Started by FSHTAIL, September 28, 2017, 02:56:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Someone told me that 1970 exterior mirrors are different from all other mirrors.   

I searched around looking for pictures, but didn't see anything that really stood out about the difference between the mirror's

Anybody know of any specific websites that show the differences?

thank you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

About the only thing the same is their function  :alan2cents:

The height, the shape and even the mounting base are different from the 71-74's
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

If I remember correctly, the 70 E body mirror was an A body sport mirror head with a new one year only E body base.

71-74 E bodies use the mirror that was created for the 71 B bodies.

The distance between the mounting holes on the base is the same for both, so they'll swap if you want.
(I think 73-74 B body mirrors have wider mounting holes, and won't swap.  Those weren't used on E bodies.)

PG Classic is who makes the reproduction mirrors.  Check their website for pics.

RUNCHARGER

I don't think the distance between the mounting holes is the same. The 70 mirrors are not as tall and actually look a bit sleeker than the later mirrors.
Sheldon

Brads70

I assume by your avatar that your referring to Cuda/Barracuda?  70 Challenger was unique all to it's own I believe?

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on September 28, 2017, 05:36:09 PM
I assume by your avatar that your referring to Cuda/Barracuda?  70 Challenger was unique all to it's own I believe?

No, Cuda and Challenger are the same 70 and 71-74
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

In 1970 the mirror glass is even a different shape from side to side :alan2cents:

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on September 28, 2017, 05:41:34 PM
In 1970 the mirror glass is even a different shape from side to side :alan2cents:

That's why I went with 71-74 mirrors. I know it's not correct but it bugged me that they were different side to side. OCD maybe?  :D

cataclysm80

Quote from: Brads70 on September 28, 2017, 06:02:49 PM

That's why I went with 71-74 mirrors. I know it's not correct but it bugged me that they were different side to side. OCD maybe?  :D

Wouldn't it also bother the OCD that the mirrors are for the wrong year of car?

The 71-74 mirrors bolted right on to your 70 car with no problems right?  Same distance between mounting holes?

Brads70

Quote from: cataclysm80 on September 28, 2017, 06:47:58 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on September 28, 2017, 06:02:49 PM

Wouldn't it also bother the OCD that the mirrors are for the wrong year of car?

The 71-74 mirrors bolted right on to your 70 car with no problems right?  Same distance between mounting holes?
LOL not much about my car is " correct" why stop at the mirrors!  It's been almost 10 years since I installed them and can't remember about the mounting holes. I did drill and use nutserts for the passenger side. I just went out and measured and got 3 1/8" between centers of the screws if that helps? ( same on both sides)

cataclysm80

Here's a comparison picture.  This is a matched pair of 1970 E body mirrors.  Driver's on the left, Passenger's on the right.

cataclysm80

Quote from: cataclysm80 on September 28, 2017, 06:47:58 PM

Quote from: Brads70 on September 28, 2017, 06:57:03 PM
It's been almost 10 years since I installed them and can't remember about the mounting holes. I did drill and use nutserts for the passenger side. I just went out and measured and got 3 1/8" between centers of the screws if that helps? ( same on both sides)

Here's a 1970, this shows 3 1/16" between centers.   I still think they're the same.  People swap later mirrors onto 1970 cars all the time.

RUNCHARGER

I bought new mirrors for my 71 Challenger and never used them, when I went to bolt them onto my 70 Challenger (this is back in 78) the 71 mirrors were wider between mounting holes is what I remember, unless the 71 mirrors weren't E-body but I ordered them for my Challenger. Anyway someone will chime in I'm sure.
Sheldon

cataclysm80

This pic might help everyone.

The perspective of the 73-74 B body mirror photograph is a little lower and leftward than the other two pics, but it's close.  The scale is pretty much the same in each photo, and I tried to line up the mounting holes so that we could see how the mirror pedestal height was different.

(clicking on the picture should make it larger and move the E-Bodies logo off the text so that you can read it)