Main Menu

'71 Challenger R/T Tail Panel Blackout

Started by Cudino, September 29, 2020, 12:38:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YYZ

Quote from: anlauto on September 29, 2020, 04:50:42 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on September 29, 2020, 03:47:21 PM
Quote from: Cudino on September 29, 2020, 03:14:33 PM
Now I wonder if the bezels and painted half of the mouldings were also Organosol?  Guess that'd make sense.  I'll see if I can find this in the reference info, and I'll also look closer at my Mr Norm car for reference.

- Wade

Those actually have a taped edge. But IIRC, the black paint line is under the tape. The black is just like 1970 Challenger R/T bezel black.

I have pics...

The front bezels are taped, but I don't think the rear moldings are.....are they ? :huh:

The rears are not taped.  The character line on the moulding serves as the break.

autoxcuda

Quote from: YYZ on September 29, 2020, 04:52:55 PM
Quote from: anlauto on September 29, 2020, 04:50:42 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on September 29, 2020, 03:47:21 PM
Quote from: Cudino on September 29, 2020, 03:14:33 PM
Now I wonder if the bezels and painted half of the mouldings were also Organosol?  Guess that'd make sense.  I'll see if I can find this in the reference info, and I'll also look closer at my Mr Norm car for reference.

- Wade

Those actually have a taped edge. But IIRC, the black paint line is under the tape. The black is just like 1970 Challenger R/T bezel black.

I have pics...

The front bezels are taped, but I don't think the rear moldings are.....are they ? :huh:

The rears are not taped.  The character line on the moulding serves as the break.

My bad.

When I heard bezels I thought Front Headlight Bezels.

Sorry for confusion
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

anlauto

Quote from: autoxcuda on September 29, 2020, 06:27:24 PM

My bad.

When I heard bezels I thought Front Headlight Bezels.

Sorry for confusion
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudino

Sorry if I was confusing anyone, but yes I was specifically asking about the black paint on the taillight bezels and tail panel surround mouldings.  After looking closely at my survivor car I agree with Floyd and the rest of you that the paint on the mouldings appears to be more of a trim black with no real texture.  As for my taillight bezels they appear to have the identical shade and rough texture as the finish on my tail panel, so I tend to believe the black on the taillight bezels was also organosol.  This is just my observations so I could be wrong, but I think I've found my answers.  Thanks to all, very much appreciated!

- Wade

RUNCHARGER

I think you have it right. That's what I remember from my 71 R/T but that was 45 years ago unfortunately.
Sheldon

Skdmark

71 Challenger R/T front and rear blackout summary from this thread. I think I got the high points.

Headlight bezels and Hood trim
SEM trim blackout or similar paint. Sections left unpainted - reveals around bulbs, raised rib detail between bulb openings, character line around fender and hood. Black vinyl tape applique. The tape overlaps where the mask line ends at the leading edge of the 3 moldings.

Grill
Specific to R/T, molded in color not painted

Tailpanel
Lightly textured Organisol. See assembly drawings and survivors for masking line reference.

Tailightbezels
Lightly textured Organisol with a silver reveal around lens openings.

Quarter and Trunk moldings
SEM trim or similar paint with paint break at character line. NO black vinyl tape applied, unlike the headlight bezels and hood trim.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

TheAutoArchaeologist

I had non-R/T tail light bezel that someone spraybombed black... and it was terrible.  I also had an original R/T bezel, but it was busted and cracked and in much worse shape.  But we compared the two and it is pretty close with the SEM Trim Black.  Of course the original R/T bezels were sitting in a junkyard out in the weather for who knows how long.  But it got us close.

Original on top, my redone one on the bottom.

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org