Main Menu

'71 Challenger R/T Tail Panel Blackout

Started by Cudino, September 29, 2020, 12:38:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudino

Hello All,

I have a question about what paint to use to blackout the tail panel on a '71 Challenger R/T.  I'm referring to the body panel blackout above the taillight bezels but below the surround mouldings, like shown in my attached picture.  An article from Hotrod (where this picture was posted) says they used Satin Black, but I'm wondering if a more textured paint like Organosol was used.  I guess this paint should also match the texture on the bezels themselves and on the inside half of the mouldings, but maybe not.  Any input appreciated!

Thanks,
- Wade

autoxcuda

It's a light texture.

Be careful on what gets silver vs black. There is a top line to the taillight bezel that should be all black and many people add a non factory silver line to.

I'll look for the example pictures with typical patterns

I have closes ups from my 71 R/T

You still have that OE paint 71 Mr Norms car? Would also be a reference

My OE blackout one taillight panel

OE paint car at at Fall Fling 2004 years ago..

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

autoxcuda

Quote from: autoxcuda on September 29, 2020, 01:19:10 PM
It's a light organosol texture.

Sorta like a dash. I'd think it would be the same blackout paint used on 71 Cuda rear tail panels?

Be careful on what gets silver vs black. There is a top line to the taillight bezel that should be all black and many people add a non factory silver line to.

I'll look for the example pictures with typical patterns

I have closes ups from my 71 R/T

You still have that OE paint 71 Mr Norms car? Would also be a reference

My OE blackout one taillight panel

OE paint car at at Fall Fling 2004 years ago..

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

YYZ

Here is an original tail panel

YYZ

Old photos. But it appears that the masking was pretty basic.

Straight line across the trunk jamb

Straight line blocking the taillight openings, and blocking the area behind the bumper.

Car was an original white on black houndstooth 383 R/T with fluorescent orange stripes. 

I would think Organasol for the paint, there should be a copy of the engineering diagrams floating around.

Cudino

Thanks Guys.  My Mr Norm survivor (pictured) is in good shape, but of course that paint is 50 years old so I wasn't sure how much of its texture has been lost over the years.  Still, to me it looks much more textured than simple Satin Black, which made me think the factory might have used Organosol like on the Cuda tail panels.  Not sure...

- Wade

anlauto

Personally I don't think it would have lot of texture originally.... :alan2cents:
Flat black with the last coat going on a little dry will likely produce the proper look in my opinion. The colour should match the tail light bezel.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudino

Quote from: ratroaster on September 29, 2020, 02:26:40 PM
Here's the engineering drawing from the resources page.
Excellent, thanks!  Don't know why I couldn't find that before.  Looks like it does call for Organosol, very interesting.  And along with all the examples now I know what the mask line should be as well.  Thanks All!

- Wade

anlauto

That is interesting,  :thinking: this website never ceases to amaze me  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cudino

Now I wonder if the bezels and painted half of the mouldings were also Organosol?  Guess that'd make sense.  I'll see if I can find this in the reference info, and I'll also look closer at my Mr Norm car for reference.

- Wade

autoxcuda

Quote from: Cudino on September 29, 2020, 03:14:33 PM
Now I wonder if the bezels and painted half of the mouldings were also Organosol?  Guess that'd make sense.  I'll see if I can find this in the reference info, and I'll also look closer at my Mr Norm car for reference.

- Wade

Those actually have a taped edge. But IIRC, the black paint line is under the tape. The black is just like 1970 Challenger R/T bezel black.

I have pics...

autoxcuda

These pics are from Chris Mortenson

Most of the pics and info are from this old thread:  https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/692467/1.html

Floyd

I don't think the moldings got organasol.  I have originals and NOS examples and they have a smooth black paint treatment.  My guess is SEM Trim Black would be a close match.

anlauto

Quote from: autoxcuda on September 29, 2020, 03:47:21 PM
Quote from: Cudino on September 29, 2020, 03:14:33 PM

- Wade

Those actually have a taped edge. But IIRC, the black paint line is under the tape. The black is just like 1970 Challenger R/T bezel black.

I have pics...

The front bezels are taped, but I don't think the rear moldings are.....are they ? :huh: