Main Menu

999 Paint code in 1970

Started by erik70rt, October 10, 2019, 08:41:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Does anyone have a record of what colors were available in 1970 using the 999 paint code? 

Was 1969 Q5 or 1968 LL1 available under the 999 code for 1970?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Cuda Cody

999 was used for any colors that were not offered for that model year.  So pretty much any color that they had in their system (yes, I would think a 1969 color would fall under that option) could be ordered with 999.  Proving it is much harder, unless you have original paint on the car with the 999 sheet or fender tag.  :alan2cents:

6bblgt

999 was the paint code for any non-STANDARD paint, provided the dealership knew how to process the order and was willing to jump thru the hoops & the customer was willing to pay the extra $$$ charged for it

whether it was from:
a prior year (think - 1969's Q5 on a '70 model),
another body (think - C-body's EA4 on an E-body),
another manufacturer (think - Ford's "grabber green" on a Mopar),
an in-house "company color" (think - Bell Telephone's "green" on a fleet of Valiants).

erik70rt

Thanks!

I'm not trying to prove anything.  Just wondering if I painted my convertible a color from another year (like Q5) that it was possible from the factory.  Since we know my T/A vert project was something the factory never made, I was thinking of going with a non-standard color for the car.  I'll have a fender tag made up for it for when it's done, but it will obviously be a reproduction tag - like having JH27J0B.

anlauto

Q5 looks beautiful when accented with white  :drooling: Not sure how it would look with all the black of a T/A  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Agreed.  I had a '69 Coronet in Q5.  I was leaning more toward LL1 from '68.

I like the look of the LL1 with black like on the '68 Coronet below.

6bblgt

1970 Chrysler, Plymouth & Imperial (C-bodies) had a "teal metallic" FP6 (I believe, pictured below)  :takealook: not sure it has quite the "POP" of the '68 color

1970 Dodge (C-body) had a "light turquoise metallic" FQ3

anlauto

That looks good with black.... :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

7E-Bodies

When I checked with ag backeast a few years ago about replacing a 25% rusted out tag on a 73 plain Jane 318 Barracuda, he claimed he'd only do it if I had a build sheet and/or a fairly legible original tag. It was only when I told him I had both that he agreed to do the replacement. Has he lightened up?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

erik70rt

Last I talked to them, they would make me whatever I wanted.  I told them it would clearly be seen that the tag wasn't original.

anlauto

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on October 10, 2019, 11:23:10 AM
When I checked with ag backeast a few years ago about replacing a 25% rusted out tag on a 73 plain Jane 318 Barracuda, he claimed he'd only do it if I had a build sheet and/or a fairly legible original tag. It was only when I told him I had both that he agreed to do the replacement. Has he lightened up?

They'll make anything you want if you're not trying to "fake" something....
I had this "restomod" one made by them...

js27

O5 and Black look great together. A friend back in PA has a 69 Coronet R/T in Q5  with a black gut and a black rump stripe. Very cool.
JS27

7E-Bodies

Perhaps because you had "RESTOMD" placed on it. They were polite yet strict with me and I wasn't even trying to change anything.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Katfish

With what you're doing, does it really matter what was offered then?
So many nice options available now to choose from.