Main Menu

AMD Glass Fitment Issues

Started by Dmod1974, September 02, 2022, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

I swear either this car or myself is cursed.  It's one thing after another with bad replacement parts!  My latest fiasco occurred today when getting my new AMD front and rear glass installed.  I had an old school guy that does custom, classic, and high end car glass replacement come out to install the new pieces with butyl tape to avoid trim fit issues.  We test fit the glass in and there is no way it can be installed.

The rear is waaay more curved than the beat up original I pulled out, and it's too short on the left hand side so it barely sits on the flange!

The windshield is wavy on the top and the A-pillar sides are curved too much too and sitting almost 3/4" above the flange.  Luckily, the installer has a supplier in Cali that he uses and has really good luck with when others don't fit, but it's substantially more money and I'm out almost $400 in glass that I purchased almost 2 years ago and can't return.  Ugh.

New sitting on old.  Check out the curve difference.

The new piece is too short as well.

Incorrectly curved windshield.

anlauto

My glass guy would just go ahead and make the adjustments to get it installed....being in the glass business for 40+ years he's seen a lot of bad glass. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

I'm not sure how you could make these work. The rear literally barely clears the opening no matter how you place it. No way to seal it properly. The front would never allow the trim to sit right with as bad as the passenger side is. The old glass sit fine but its scratched, chipped, and all messed up being 50 years old and all.

SilverFrost73

@Dmod1974
That is a real downer!
Keep us posted on your install 
If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
Unknown

anlauto

Quote from: Dmod1974 on September 02, 2022, 08:19:13 PM
I'm not sure how you could make these work. The rear literally barely clears the opening no matter how you place it. No way to seal it properly. The front would never allow the trim to sit right with as bad as the passenger side is. The old glass sit fine but its scratched, chipped, and all messed up being 50 years old and all.

Yea, it looks pretty bad :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

I had the same experience with AMD back glass, it was about 1/4" shorter in height than my original glass and would barely sit on the flange. It was a waste of money because I ended up having to buy a used original.

headejm

I used to hear good things about AMD glass. Correct thickness, good fit, etc. I wonder what happened?  :notsure:

Dmod1974

Quote from: Challenger in NC on September 03, 2022, 06:19:50 AM
I had the same experience with AMD back glass, it was about 1/4" shorter in height than my original glass and would barely sit on the flange. It was a waste of money because I ended up having to buy a used piece.

Yeah, mine is probably closer to 1/2" shorter than the old one I pulled out!

B5fourspeed

What did AMD say when you call them about this issue?Did you send them pictures of the fitment?I would think they would correct the issue or give you a refund.When I did my front windshield the glass company that installed it order the glass so if the fitment was bad it is on them.I paid 300 for the glass and installation.

Dmod1974

Quote from: B5fourspeed on September 03, 2022, 01:25:54 PM
What did AMD say when you call them about this issue?Did you send them pictures of the fitment?I would think they would correct the issue or give you a refund.When I did my front windshield the glass company that installed it order the glass so if the fitment was bad it is on them.I paid 300 for the glass and installation.

I'm going to call them after the holiday to see what, if any, recourse I have.  My guess is that they'll tell me to pound sand because it's been over a year since I bought it.  I bought them with a huge batch of sheet metal to save on shipping knowing that I wouldn't have the car ready for glass for some time.  Naturally, that bit me this time.  I just hope this other vendors glass that they have in stock is a whole lot better than what I have now!

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Dmod1974 on September 03, 2022, 08:32:43 AM
Quote from: Challenger in NC on September 03, 2022, 06:19:50 AM
I had the same experience with AMD back glass, it was about 1/4" shorter in height than my original glass and would barely sit on the flange. It was a waste of money because I ended up having to buy a used piece.

Yeah, mine is probably closer to 1/2" shorter than the old one I pulled out!

That's bad, they should exchange for a better piece or refund your purchase. This is not an area to be skimping on and no one wants to modify their window opening to fit wrong size glass. Regardless of it being a year since you purchased it, they should do something to help.

GoMangoBoys

I wish that I had seen this posting sooner.  I just brought home an AMD windshield and back glass that I bought from Stephen's Performance at the Moparty last weekend.  I guess I am going to go check fit right away.

71GranCoupe

I bought a windshield from Stephans and it was a perfect fit. Can't say anything on back glass though. Do a dry fit right away before too long.  :cheers: