Main Menu

Anyone modify an r/t hood?

Started by dave73, December 10, 2017, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

Here is a profile shot. I think the builder got the look he was after....read the license plate in the previous photo.

Choppintime

The Cuda hood was sliced and raised on my car back in late 70's. There is an opening out back that I fabricated a bracket for and installed some old sun gauges in. Just for the 'look'.

I've owned the car for 13 years - 2004. I purchased the car because it was super solid, original sheet metal and a 340/4 speed 71. My initial thoughts were to paint the car but after getting it home and lightly sanding/buffing the paint I decided to keep it as the second owner had intended. If it's not painted, it's powder coated or chromed on this car.

The car was purchased off the original owner in 1976. Second owner brought  it to Kalifornia Kustoms in upstate NY to be made a World of Wheels show car. So, the 340 was never back in the car - because the car was never finished. I bought it as a roller and boxes of parts. I do have the 340 - missing carb, exhaust manifolds and intake on a stand.

I decided to put a big Hemi in it to go along with the over the top way the car looked, not to follow a trend in 2010. In hindsight I probably wasted money but getting this car back on the road wasn't about making a Hemi clone to make money on resale. The Hemi was installed way before 2010.

1 Wild R/T

Don't get me wrong, I love your car, just tired of every car needs a Hemi.... I think the 340 is a great engine in it's own rite.... 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 12, 2017, 01:20:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love your car, just tired of every car needs a Hemi.... I think the 340 is a great engine in it's own rite....
:iagree: I'm a huge 340 fan. Where the 340 really shines is when it's time to wrench on them. I really don't like working on Hemi's in these cars.

Choppintime

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 12, 2017, 01:20:55 PM

Oh, I don't disagree with you. I was going to redo the 340 but just figured the car was so crazy I'd up the drivetrain. The 70-71 Dana was already in the car. So, I'm assuming the second owner was thinking big motor as well. Like I stated, probably wasn't a great financial decision

Choppintime

Not sure why those photos are so small. I'll get some good pictures of the hood area this week.

Cudajason

Quote from: Choppintime on December 12, 2017, 12:52:36 PM

I've owned the car for 13 years - 2004. I purchased the car because it was super solid, original sheet metal and a 340/4 speed 71. My initial thoughts were to paint the car but after getting it home and lightly sanding/buffing the paint I decided to keep it as the second owner had intended. If it's not painted, it's powder coated or chromed on this car.

Good choice leaving the paint!!!  I am sure you get some negative comments from time to time, but I LOVE it...one of my favorite all time cars!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

Quote from: Cudajason on December 13, 2017, 09:00:42 AM
Quote from: Choppintime on December 12, 2017, 12:52:36 PM

Good choice leaving the paint!!!  I am sure you get some negative comments from time to time, but I LOVE it...one of my favorite all time cars!

Jason

:iagree:  agreed, love that paint job!  8)

dave73

So I've decided to leave my rt hood alone. Instead I have my flat hood laying around I'm going to modify - maybe a b body hemi scoop? Anyone have any ideas? Want something a little different and super aggressive looking...

Shane Kelley

The Demon/Dart Sport hood scoop looks pretty good on on a flat hood.  Looks kind of like a T/A hood.

anlauto

What a "b body Hemi scoop" look like ? Do you have a picture ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dave73

Quote from: anlauto on December 14, 2017, 06:06:19 AM
What a "b body Hemi scoop" look like ? Do you have a picture ?

I was wrong - thinking of a 68 dart/cuda hemi scoop. Would think think the center rib would line up with the rib on the challenger flat hood. Not sure though, may look a lot better on the 68 dart because of the flat profile of the scoop with the flat profile of the front end. Aaron beck runs a six pack scoop on his cuda as well which got me thinking about an ebody. The hemi scoop and six pack scoop are a little different, looks like hemi is bigger and boxier while the six pack has more curves to it. Pictures below:

Shane Kelley

72 Dodge Demon scoop

HP2

Quote from: Shane Kelley on December 11, 2017, 12:25:40 PM
Quote from: dave73chally on December 11, 2017, 11:16:25 AM
Now that I see it, don't think I like it
:iagree:  It's just to much.  Those nostrils so high up mess with the proportions to much. IMO

It does seem a little bulbous. I have thought about doing a raised R/T hood too, but I was going to step it up. Raise the side pods with the openings up two inches and then raise the center up an additional two inches.