Main Menu

anyone with their cuda on a frame jig right now, would like to compare notes

Started by 72restocuda, May 28, 2023, 09:13:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

Finished my frame jig, put the cuda up - for reference I had a shop (now closed)put new rear rails, floor rear quarter skins about 20 years ago.  Car never felt the same afterwards.  Kept throwing money at the problem, finally decided to put AMD on speed dial and do a complete restoration with new 1 piece floor (wasn't available when I first got the car), Dutchman panel, new full quarters.  Built the frame jig about as level as anything I've ever done and using the datum line drawings to fashion 4 crossbeams, I've included the datum pic - well the rear frame rails sit 1 5/8" too high on the passenger side rear at the area under the shackle and 2 1/8" too high on drivers side.  The only things that sit right are the front of the rear frame rails and the transmission/torsion bar crossmember.  So I know pretty much the car is coming down to bare bones, and by the time I'm done it will be essentially a new car. Has anyone made their frame jig with the datum lines in mind? is the height difference between the front part of the rear frame rail and the rear rail really only 9 -7/16".  I'll post the pics tomorrow

Mr Cuda

Yes. I made a frame jig from that datum chart.
The 8 points have stops that the rails rest on.
I built it and put an undamaged,  but rusty car on it. It fit perfectly.
The only thing I  would add to the jig is a pinch weld rest.
  Then you can build a car from pieces.

larry4406

Mr Cuda - do you have a build thread anywhere?  You do some nice work.

72restocuda

Ok, back on the phone with AMD I go, my frame jig is good, its my car thats dangerous, thanks so much, hope everyone is having a great weekend
-Steve

ebodyproducts

Quote from: Mr Cuda on May 29, 2023, 01:28:08 AM
Yes. I made a frame jig from that datum chart.
The 8 points have stops that the rails rest on.
I built it and put an undamaged,  but rusty car on it. It fit perfectly.
The only thing I  would add to the jig is a pinch weld rest.
  Then you can build a car from pieces.
That's awesome!!  Great work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

ebodyproducts

Quote from: 72restocuda on May 29, 2023, 09:04:55 AM
Ok, back on the phone with AMD I go, my frame jig is good, its my car thats dangerous, thanks so much, hope everyone is having a great weekend
-Steve
If you need any measurements, let me know!!  I'll help the best I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

70 Challenger Lover

I built one a few years back for my Challenger. Not having much experience, I overbuilt the sht out of it and the 1/4" wall tubing brought total weight to around 1000 pounds. I made all the resting points on sliders so I could do other cars. The risers would be all that needed changed.

It was an invaluable tool for getting my too far gone car back to the land of the living. I used the same chart you posted and it really helped get it lined up correctly. I tested it out on a different car first and the beefy crossmembers were more than strong enough to allow for pulling a bent rail and shock tower back into position.