Main Menu

Cuda Convertible top frame installation

Started by vinsar, January 10, 2019, 09:00:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

vinsar

I'm getting ready to install my top frame and would appreciate any installation tips. The rear main brackets have three holes each and according to the service manual that is an adjustment point called stack height. I can see the original washer marks on the metal, one side they were centered and the other side they seemed to be offset it the lower position. The top frame is not original to the car and has not been taken apart so its pretty much the way it left the factory adjustment wise. Door and quarter glass is installed but can't adjust them until the top frame is set.

anlauto

When you put the main brackets on with the three bolts, there's also aligning pin holes....you want to stick an awl (if you have a large one) in the holes, then tighten the bolts....from there it's all about height/length...I get them equal on both sides, then it's off to the upholstery shop to get the new top installed.  I know member @MikeMikeMike installed his own top, maybe he'll chime in ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MikeMikeMike

Hi
Sure I'll throw in my  :alan2cents:
All my stuff got blasted and painted so I didn't have any marks to guide me but I'd follow Alan's advice and where possible, Start with the old adjustment points and then measure to see if they are even. Next measure the distance from the rear bow to the edge of the Dutchman's panel. It has to be a specific distance. I'll see if I can find the paper that shows the proper distances or maybe someone here will have it.

Also,
take your time. Between the adjusting and top installation I easily spent over 100 hours. Measure, adjust, remeasure.
Use lots of moving blankets so you don't scratch anything.
Have a friend help.
Don't force anything. I remember somewhere along the line a part got reversed making it unable to fold up.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

superdave

:popcorn: :popcorn: Definitely watching this thread...thanks for sharing yoir knowledge/experience. :drinkingbud:

vinsar

Thanks Alan and Mike! I did notice those two extra holes and then went back and looked at the service manual, they do call them out in a paragraph but say nothing of installing the frame. They really just talk about adjustments.  I'm wondering how they did this at the factory, it had to be relatively easy with those cars moving on a line. Maybe they had some type of jig with alignment studs that held the assembly at the main brackets?  The holes are pretty big, I plan on using a couple big tapered center punches to act as really large awl. Thanks again for the info, I'm hoping to get it installed in the next couple days and will report my progress.

cudaize

This is a little of the topic of fitting the top irons but I thought that I would share.

I have been contemplating doing the top install on my Cuda and have been watching all the videos and reading articles that I can find.  I ran across this one and found it to be the most extensive one so far.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGBSecPerlg  It's a Cougar but most of the things this gentleman talks about and shows would be applicable to any top install. This guy really knows his stuff and I assume has probably been doing it for close to 40 years.

Mike Afflerbach