Main Menu

Best correct shade paint for emblem?

Started by JH27N0B, May 29, 2018, 09:06:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

The paint on the engine call out emblems on my Challenger is looking shabby.  What is the proper tone and best paint for the red?

ToxicWolf

When I was younger I touched them up with my wife's nail polish.  :haha:

GY3R/T

Thats going to be a tough one to touch up. Hope you have a steady hand. Maybe try crafts store ? Testors Paints ?  You don't need much. You can mix different shades of Testors reds to get close.
   Then there's the brush strokes showing up. IMO some emblem resto's are best left to artists.   :alan2cents: 

JH27N0B

I figured a Testors paint would probably be the way to go.  But I am wondering what shade of red.  I question if the shade on it currently is even correct.  Could be faded after many decades? 

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

It's a fairly dark red, kind of a brick red.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

So the red on this fender emblem would be the same as the dark red used on the hood call outs?
Mine must be real faded, they are currently a pale red.

GY3R/T

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 30, 2018, 04:46:47 AM
So the red on this fender emblem would be the same as the dark red used on the hood call outs?
Mine must be real faded, they are currently a pale red.
Yes. But there are at leat two shades of red. One early NOS and later NOS (post 90's).
         Then there are repro's. I'll get some pics of NOS ones i have Later today.  :takepicture:                  Off to work.

Burdar

If you use an automotive paint with a hardener in it, you could spray that section of the emblem without masking anything.  Once that was dry, you could spray the entire emblem with SEM Trim Black.  Finally, you can use a rag with some lacquer thinner to remove the black.  If you do it quickly, the lacquer thinner shouldn't affect the red underneath.

You can buy a cheap Preval sprayer to do the job.

GY3R/T

I Know these aren't your exact emblem, just a couple reds. Your red would be closer to the top emblem. Hope this helps with color shade choice. 1st pic is  cloudy day. 2nd pic is obviously with flash.

70/6chall

JH27N0B.........I was wondering the same thing, what is the exact color of red for engine call-out emblems. I picked up 2 bottles of the Testors red, 1 insignia red and 1 Chrysler red. Mine too are getting a bit shabby. You have the flat hood on your 383 four barrel car, don't you? And I really like the white double pinstripe. One of my Challengers was the 383 2 barrel. The pic shows my call-out needs some color enhancement.     Thanks,   Al

JH27N0B

Yes, my car is a flat hood car.  It's a factory pinstripe car too. However the previous owner used tape stripes for the pinstripes, and factory would be painted.  The tape is looking a bit shabby in a few places too, so finding a pinstripe artist in my area to do it right is high on my list of things to do this summer!
Thanks for the tips and pictures on the paint colors.  I might go to the hobby shop and buy a couple shades of Testors red.  I will try hand painting. I have fine grit polishing clothes I use for model building I can use to try to smooth the paint after it dries.

anlauto

Are you saying that an "N" code JH car with a flat hood has those emblems on the fender from the factory ? :thinking:  I don't think I've ever seen that before :huh:  Is there factory documentation to back that up ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I'm sure there is but I don't have a reference handy.  I've seen some very early JH23 and JH27N0B cars that have V8 emblems on the fenders.  But most have the 383 4 Barrel emblems.  I also have some restoration pictures of my car I was given when I bought the car including it in "barn find" condition in the late 80s and it had them then. The car was very tired then but very stock and very complete.  :ohyeah:
Here is a car less than a dozen VIN numbers from mine.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/dodge/challenger/2038630.html

RUNCHARGER

I remember seeing new 71 Challengers with fender mounted 383 emblems for sure. My foggy memory can't recall seeing any new 70s with them though, so I am not sure.
Sheldon