Main Menu

Door Latch Rattle

Started by Dmod1974, June 10, 2020, 08:30:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

I'm finishing up lining up the newly skinned drivers door, and no matter what I do with the striker, the door rattles when fully latched (clicked twice).  If I push on it past the latch point where the quarter and door are flush, it moves in maybe 3/8" to 1/2".

I have new strikers ordered since I think the rubber inside is shot on both sides, but I don't remember them having that issue before tear down. 

Now, when I installed the new door weatherstripping to make sure everything fits up correctly, the rattle when latched is gone and it still latches with both panels flush.  It took just a little more effort to get the door to shut with the seal on, but nothing that one would notice when shutting a door normally instead of babying it, and I imagine that will loosen even more once the seal compresses for a while.  If I push harder on the door with the new seal in place, it will push in more before bottoming out, but not much without a ton of effort.

I think that might all be normal including the rattle/looseness without the seal installed, but just want to be sure.  All of the panels and gaps are pretty good, the hinges are new, and the seal seems to compress properly all of the way around the door.

Cuda Cody

I always do my bodywork with seals in place. 

Also, if you have the door latch rods in place, they originally had sleeves on them to help stop rattles.

dodj

Do you have the bumpers on the doors?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dmod1974

I'm probably not describing the issue well...  That's my bad!  When the door is fully shut (latched clicked twice and panels lined up flush) without a door seal in it, I can push the door in and out about 3/8" to 1/2".  No matter what I do with the striker that is still there.

If I put the door seal in and change nothing else, I can get the door to shut and latch and it no longer has any play.  If I push on it hard it'll move, but I think that may be normal.

I don't have the bumpers in, but I don't think they'd take up that play based on what I see when I shine a light down the jamb.

anlauto

Not that I've ever tried to push the door inbound (closed) once it's properly latched, without seals and bumpers in place, but I guess it could have movement,  :thinking:

...but with the weather-strip and bumpers in place, it no longer has that movement, the panels are lined up, then what's the problem ?

Once latched properly, the door doesn't move out-bound (open) does it ? I could see that being an issue...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

Nope, only inward movement.  I never checked it without the old seal in place before yanking the doors either, so I wanted to make sure it was normal before moving on or chasing tails.