Main Menu

Help needed with making rear of door close 'tigher' to body (striker/door-latch)

Started by 70Challenger440, May 30, 2022, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70Challenger440

I recently fixed and aligned my passenger side door glass mechanism. (I had a thread on it and everyone here was so helpful and despite my lack of knowledge on these subjects because of them it turned out well).  With the door glass now finished, I realized part of the issue is that the passenger door could close tighter to the body for the rear of the glass to align even better. The prior owner restored the car many years ago and it has been seldom used since, so the hinges are new with no play. The paint is still show quality despite being 25 years old, so I don't want to do anything risky that could chip the paint edges.  The front part of the door and fender alignment is 100% perfect so I don't want to touch the hinges. 

I was looking at the striker and door-latch and hoping for some advice if there is any way to adjust them to make the rear of the door close tighter into the body?

dodj

The striker on the door pillar can be adjusted inwards. Decent size torque bit required
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Mark the location of the striker with masking tape, then loosen and move inboard the desired amount without losing the up/down measurement. Keep playing with it until you get it where you want it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70Challenger440

Thanks for your replies   ...
I need to buy  the tool to fit the striker. Is it a torx head, and of what size?.
(for 70 Challenger)