Main Menu

Body Line Panel Allignment

Started by CudaMartin, January 20, 2020, 08:03:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMartin

Working on my quarter panel install and alignment. I'm shooting a level/straight line with a laser level. Question is how "straight" is the body line really? Anyone ever shot theirs and checked it? nothing on my car is "straight" anyway so hate to ruin it. If you have a finished car and a laser level, help a brother out with a picture. :please:

HEMICUDA

Wow man, you get it that straight, you're the man. :wowzers:  I thought our work was straight, dang, I might invest in a laser like that.  We always work the tape line from top then the bottom, a laser would certainly get the tape line perfect.  Great idea for a car with a straight body line. :ohyeah:

CudaMartin

so your saying its not straight, i think the person that put my car together was drunk from the looks of the welds.  Going for close and eye balling it.  Got it!

HEMICUDA

Quote from: CudaMartin on January 20, 2020, 08:24:23 AM
so your saying its not straight, i think the person that put my car together was drunk from the looks of the welds.  Going for close and eye balling it.  Got it!

Huh? Hard to tell if the lines are off by the picture.  What I can tell you, even with an all original sheet metal car, there's work to get the body lines perfect.  All I was saying, the laser is a good start for all the long blocking needed to get it as perfect as that laser.

headejm

@CudaMartin  Sorry, my car is a Challenger but your line looks perfect. I don't mind perfect even though no one I know uses a laser. Someday, that line will be at the mercy of the door hinges and gravity so make it perfect now and over time it will look more like other cars. Your efforts are to be commended!

1 Wild R/T

I used a laser on my Coronet, but that line isn't nearly as long as the one your working with... On the Cuda it crosses the door jamb, realize if the door is empty when you add the window/regulator/latch/etc it's gonna drop... So do your work on the Lines but realize after getting it perfect you'll want to re=adjust the door so the back of the door is about 3/16" high...

Shane Kelley

I use a thin 8' metal straight edge and a sharpie. Then I run masking tape up to that edge and work off of that.  :alan2cents:

JS29

52 pounds of weight in the door's, laser to get a straight line, masking tape along the bottom of the line. Guide coat, Long block it, revers process.   :perfect10:   

jimynick

Quote from: JS29 on January 20, 2020, 02:09:03 PM
52 pounds of weight in the door's, laser to get a straight line, masking tape along the bottom of the line. Guide coat, Long block it, revers process.   :perfect10:
Yep, and it'll be perfect. The fly in the ointment comes in when you realize that neither God nor Mopar ever make one of these cars- perfect. I get it, the desire to have it so, but the strain of that much worrying would keep me awake nights knowing that gravity and the guy driving beside you while you're in it, may have their wicked ways with your perfection. But, as I've said before, your car, your call, so enjoy!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Topcat

A body guy who did my front fenders said the body line is not laser straight as it goes to the front.

The very first 10 to 12 inches is a very slight downward curve.

I can't verify that, but it makes sense.

anlauto

Quote from: jimynick on January 21, 2020, 07:11:30 PM
Yep, and it'll be perfect. The fly in the ointment comes in when you realize that neither God nor Mopar ever make one of these cars- perfect. I get it, the desire to have it so, but the strain of that much worrying would keep me awake nights knowing that gravity and the guy driving beside you while you're in it, may have their wicked ways with your perfection. But, as I've said before, your car, your call, so enjoy!  :cheers:

Not to mention...these unibody cars flex....so get it down off that cart and see where you're at then....drive it for six months and see how well you retain that line....I'd be curious :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

52 pounds of weight in the door's
The window, reg, and tracks actually weigh 52 pounds?!?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

Quote from: dodj on January 22, 2020, 08:59:06 AM
52 pounds of weight in the door's
The window, reg, and tracks actually weigh 52 pounds?!?
Yup! that is what cuda cody came up with, sounds right to me.  :alan2cents:

tparker

Mine isn't straight. LOL. Honestly, I am not sure the build quality of any of these cars was perfect. There is over spray, bad welds, and lots of other anomalies. So I think getting perfection is not what came out of the factory. Probably heresy. LOL.

CudaMartin

Quote from: tparker on January 22, 2020, 12:49:11 PM
Mine isn't straight. LOL. Honestly, I am not sure the build quality of any of these cars was perfect. There is over spray, bad welds, and lots of other anomalies. So I think getting perfection is not what came out of the factory. Probably heresy. LOL.

Yes build quality was not Chrysler's thing in thei 70s.  I definitely found some super sloppy welds while removing rusty panels.  Close enough and eye ball straight is what I'm going for.  Good feedback though.