Main Menu

Body Shops

Started by 61K T/A, August 01, 2017, 07:40:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

61K T/A

I'm considering rebuilding my engine this fall. When I bought my car the PO painted the engine compartment all black. While the engine is out I want to have it painted white to match the rest of the car. I don't know of a quality shop in my area. Can any one point me in the right direction to get this work done right? I live in NJ and willing to travel up to 200 miles each way. Thanks,

dave73

Burdar

If you just want the engine compartment sprayed, I think most any collision shop could do that for you.  How hard is that to mess up?  They need to do a spray out of your paint color so you can approve it.  Then, I'd remove everything in the engine compartment you don't want to be painted.  Any rubber hoses, bushings, gaskets, wiring, shocks, steering column exc.  Let them know that all you need them to do is sand and paint the engine compartment. Maybe they can work it in between collision jobs.

61K T/A

Quote from: dave73chally on August 01, 2017, 10:51:21 AM
Where in NJ are you?

I left Bergen County and now live in Ocean.

76orangewagon

Totally Auto Inc.
337 Philmont Ave.
Feasterville, Pa. 19053

By Phone:
215.322.CARS
Monday-Friday 9AM-4-PM EST.

dave73

One I've had my eye on is sponsored by the Deadmans Curve car club out of North Jersey. If you've never heard of them, they throw an insane show every labor day, for 4 days straight, with 3k+ cars in Mahwah at the Sheraton.

Clemente's Auto Body - Mountain Lakes, NJ

61K T/A

Huh. The site of the old Ford assembly plant. Right next door to my home town. I'll check em out.

1 Wild R/T

My only input, Please take everything out of the engine compartment.... I hate seeing wiper motors, brake lines, wiring harnesses and all the other things body color....

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Actually the engine compartment is a make it or break it refinishing project. Lots of items to remove or tape to make it right including removing the heater box, upper control arm cams and frame splash guards to name a few. Then the area should be degreased a few times before paint removal and probably at least once after paint removal. Properly done it brings the car a long way forward though.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 05, 2017, 09:29:47 AM
Yes: Actually the engine compartment is a make it or break it refinishing project. Lots of items to remove or tape to make it right including removing the heater box, upper control arm cams and frame splash guards to name a few. Then the area should be degreased a few times before paint removal and probably at least once after paint removal. Properly done it brings the car a long way forward though.

Exactly.... Do it right & you'll have no regrets, do it half assed & you might as well not bother....

61K T/A

I dont plan on wasting my time doing any thing half baked. Done right the first time is the only way to go. Barton's doing the engine work so the EC resto will have to compliment his work. He penciled me in after labor day. He's got 9 engines he's currently building. BTW does any one have pictures of what a completed engine compartment looks like w/o the engine? Thanks,

Cuda Cody

With or without the wiring and stuff?  The year and color will determine if your cowl was blacked out.

Quote from: 61K T/A on August 06, 2017, 05:28:29 AM
BTW does any one have pictures of what a completed engine compartment looks like w/o the engine? Thanks,

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 06, 2017, 08:22:41 AM
With or without the wiring and stuff?  The year and color will determine if your cowl was blacked out.

Quote from: 61K T/A on August 06, 2017, 05:28:29 AM
BTW does any one have pictures of what a completed engine compartment looks like w/o the engine? Thanks,

Thats a terrible example... The bottom is to yellow & only T/A-AAR's got the bolt flanges blacked out....

But it sure is Purdy!! :drinkingbud:

Cuda Cody

With a user name like 61K T/A I thought he might want a T/A sample engine bay?   :dunno:  And yes you are right, the underside would not be perfectly painted if someone wants a factory OEM style restoration.  Primer with body color over-spray.

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 06, 2017, 08:33:49 AM

Thats a terrible example... The bottom is to yellow & only T/A-AAR's got the bolt flanges blacked out....

But it sure is Purdy!! :drinkingbud:

1 Wild R/T

Yeah I paint the whole bottom body color too... But we critic types rarely have a better example of whats correct.. :haha:

And your right with a user name like 61K T/A your example probably is perfect...  But I still gotta  :pokeeye: