Main Menu

Brake cable grommets?

Started by Mrbill426, June 21, 2020, 08:12:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I have two questions regarding brake cable grommets.

One, is there supposed to be some sort of grommet or sleeve in the hole where the forward brake cable passes through the lower front wheel well into the frame?  It seems like there should be but mine did not have one.

Two, I have a new forward cable and a new grommet for it that snaps into the hole where it passes through the firewall into the wheel well.  The question is what is the trick to get that small holed grommet over the fat end flange and onto the preassembled  cable? 

Thanks

Mopar5

xx88man

Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 21, 2020, 08:12:49 PM

One, is there supposed to be some sort of grommet or sleeve in the hole where the forward brake cable passes through the lower front wheel well into the frame?  It seems like there should be but mine did not have one.

Two, I have a new forward cable and a new grommet for it that snaps into the hole where it passes through the firewall into the wheel well.  The question is what is the trick to get that small holed grommet over the fat end flange and onto the preassembled  cable? 

Thanks

1) I don't think there is a grommet where the cable goes into the frame (crossmember)

2) I had a well respected Mopar guru tell me to put the grommet in boiling water to heat it up.... then a little lube on the end of the cable and push it on.
Most likely easiest to do with the cable on the bench. The grommet is supposed to go in from the inside I believe. Did you get the correct grommet from Detroit Muscle Technologies?
Keep yer foot in it

Mrbill426

@xx88man thanks.  It just looks odd or unfinished having that cable running though that gaping hole but I guess that is right.  :dunno:
As for the grommet yes I bought it some time ago  from DMT and yes in goes on from inside the car.  The only difference I see between new and old is the funnel-like nipple is on the opposite side of the grommet as the original one I took off. :huh:  but I will go with it.  I considered boiling it but just wanted to know first if there was another method.
Thanks again!

Quote from: xx88man on June 21, 2020, 10:02:22 PM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 21, 2020, 08:12:49 PM

Thanks

1) I don't think there is a grommet where the cable goes into the frame (crossmember)

2) I had a well respected Mopar guru tell me to put the grommet in boiling water to heat it up.... then a little lube on the end of the cable and push it on.
Most likely easiest to do with the cable on the bench. The grommet is supposed to go in from the inside I believe. Did you get the correct grommet from Detroit Muscle Technologies?

xx88man

No problem. Post back on here and let us know how it worked out. (I haven't done it)
Keep yer foot in it