Main Menu

Challenger fenders 72+ to a 70?

Started by Shoooter, July 22, 2020, 11:33:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Is there anyway to make a 1972+ challenger fender work on a 1970? What else needs to be changed besides the side markers? Are the headlight buckets different as well?

MOPAR MITCH

I converted my 72 fenders (and rear quarters) to 70... changed the side marker lights... easily done using doner sections (cut from a junk yard doner car... don't tell them that's what you're going to do.... lol).

The front fenders are no problem... headlight buckets same... but the 70 grille installation will need slight modification to the outermost attaching bolts/screws to the fenders... easily done as you'll see when you're attaching... at least that how it was for my car... converted my 72 Rallye into a T/A back in ~1978.

Burdar

BE&A used to make the turn signal patches to do the conversion.  Maybe PG Classics still has them?  If not, call Mike from BE&A and see if he still has any left.

Shoooter

Perfect, my friend has a good set of 72+ fenders and im looking at a 70 challenger project.  The rear quarters will be ordered new.

Chryco Psycho

The 70 fenders have the headlight buckets welded as part of the inner frame parallel to the rad , in 72 the headlights were mounted to the plastic grille insert so you will need steel headlight mounts to weld to the fender 

anlauto

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on July 23, 2020, 10:16:06 AM

The front fenders are no problem... headlight buckets same....

How is this possible ? I didn't think the 72-74 fender have ANY provisions for the headlight mounting ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

As others have said; you will need the headlight buckets and weld them in to make it work! They only reproduce that part for the Cuda. You would need to find an old damaged fender where the bucket could be cut out

:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

erik70rt

Depending on the cost of the 72 fenders, it seems to be more cost effective to just buy a set of repop 70 fenders.  Why go through all that hassle if you don't need to?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Shoooter

Quote from: erik70rt on July 23, 2020, 05:24:37 PM
Depending on the cost of the 72 fenders, it seems to be more cost effective to just buy a set of repop 70 fenders.  Why go through all that hassle if you don't need to?

That's true. The other fenders are very cheap as he is a good friend. The car has 70s on it but they need work.  I could always patch one with the other

dodj

Quote from: Shoooter on July 23, 2020, 05:58:14 PM
That's true. The other fenders are very cheap as he is a good friend. The car has 70s on it but they need work.  I could always patch one with the other
If you have 70's on the car now put the two side by side and it will be very apparent what needs to come off the 70 and added to the 72. Not really a big job, just important that you get the measurements right of how deep into the fender the bucket goes, angle of it etc.
I just did it last year. I mocked up the whole grille, buckets, bezels, fenders before making it permanent as I didn't have a set of 70's to go off of for bucket placement.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YYZ

IMHO if the headlight bucket area is half-decent on the '70 donor fenders, then I'd look to drill out the spot welds and graft the entire bucket assembly and bracing into the '72-4 fenders.

This will ensure that all of the spacing, dimensions and mounts are correct.  Plus, you can rustproof or POR-15 the underside of the fenders that are hidden by the brackets -- this is a notorious weak spot for Challenger fenders.

Otherwise, for the price of repro fenders, which I understand to be quite good now, I'd probably go that way and sell the '72-4 ones to offset the purchase.

anlauto

Cross Canada sells Goodmark fenders for $647.19 CDN plus tax.  Tell them you're a business and they'll give you up to 40% off.
Burnaby BC is showing one side in stock, same day delivery  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Hr had a hood as well. Is this a 70 or 71+? If its a 71 plus what needs to be changed on that?

JS29

That looks like a 1970 hood to me!  :alan2cents:

YYZ

Quote from: JS29 on July 28, 2020, 06:50:15 AM
That looks like a 1970 hood to me!  :alan2cents:

Yup.  Definitely 1970.

To the OP, don't forget that the hood hinges use smaller diameter bolts than '71-4 (in case you are replacing a later hood).