Main Menu

Cheapest and quickest 1971 fender gill installation

Started by CudaMoparRay, June 17, 2017, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMoparRay

I'm dangerous when bored and broke.
I have been contemplating all kinds of ways to add the famous 1971 'Cuda front fender gills to my car. Unfortunately, to date all avenues are either way too expensive or just don't do.
Here is my answer, at least for the moment.
I do not see why someone could not make a decal that would be a real picture and size of the gills in a Chrome like material to give them more realism. They would be fake alright but so are the real ones.
Anyway here is my photo printed cut outs on my none gill fender. I think they look interesting if not too bad at all. From 10 feet cannot tell they are not real.
The beauty is they can be removed or added on depending on your mood. And look better to me than the last photo or the other stick-on decals and plastics I have seen.

Cuda Cody

I think you might be on to something pretty simple, easy and cool.  All while not costing very much.   :banana:

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

CudaMoparRay

I was thinking of going to a "Skinning decal" printing and banners type shop to see what they could do.

My preferred method, besides of course doing the real thing, is to have someone produce 3D ones out of either Chromed aluminum or plastic to more exactly mimic the "real ones" being installed with 3M tape backing.

Does anyone know of someone with those capabilities?

ec_co

if you did them on a thin magnetic strip you could add/remove at will
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Cudajason

Please don't.

While I agree they look good from a distance...once you get close you will quickly notice they are fake and a sticker.

Your car looks fine without them.

my 2 cents.

jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

CudaMoparRay

Just received a request to sell my decals from a member. This is what I answered back. Maybe someone can produce these professionally some day.

"I cannot sell these as they were just a rough picture printed on regular photo paper made the right size and cut out with scissors by hand.
I was just trying to see how they would look so attached them to the fender with double sided tape.
Was thinking of taking the idea to a sign or decal shop to see if they could reproduce in sticker or magnetic or even a plastic reproduction that would look more real in 3D.
I have not done that yet nor do I know if I will just go with the real fenders and gills.
Thanks for the compliment but as of now the idea is not in a final or appropriate production stage just a cut out idea, Ray"

CudaMoparRay

I think getting some fender gill patch panels as templates and marking the holes on the existing fender then cutting them out and just putting the gills in would leave the paint intact.
I know that would not have the sunken flange around them but would look pretty good anyway.
Could try using flanging pliers after cutting the holes to make it more OEM looking maybe.
Anyway, just some thoughts as always your opinions welcome.

MikeMikeMike

I think you found a good solution at the price point you are trying to achieve. My only suggestion would be to have them printed on clear vinyl all 4 to a sheet and skip the 3D costs. They would also be easier to install. The spacing would be correct if they were all on the same sheet and your eye can detect misalignment and bad spacing at a distance where as a 3D chrome effect would be detectable at the same distance that you would probably be able to see they are stickers. Just guessing on the 3D stuff but I do know about the spacing and alignment.  :alan2cents:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

FSHTAIL

Don't fake the funk.   

I saw a video where a guy used painters tape, mapped it all out and used a Dremel and went through a ton of cutting wheels. 

No paint, looked perfect.   
Guy was out of Iraq..   

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on October 15, 2017, 05:05:01 PM
Don't fake the funk.   

I saw a video where a guy used painters tape, mapped it all out and used a Dremel and went through a ton of cutting wheels. 

Guy was out of Iraq..   

We'll have to locate that video because obviously "Irag Mopar" is too far to hire him.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on October 16, 2017, 12:09:52 AM
Don't fake the funk.   

Guy was out of Iraq..   

We'll have to locate that video because obviously "Irag Mopar" is too far to hire him.
Huh?

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on October 16, 2017, 12:12:51 AM
Quote from: CudaMoparRay on October 16, 2017, 12:09:52 AM
Don't fake the funk.   

Guy was out of Iraq..   

Huh?

Just being funny, in that you said the guy in the video is from Iraq doing Mopar fender gills and all I can afford is to see the video in that it would be too expensive to either hire him or send my fenders to Iraq lol

FSHTAIL

Ahhh.  Gotcha.     

Guy was doing a diy.   
Lots of working with what you've got out there. 

CudaMoparRay

Bought these but instead of inserting them by doing metal work plan to just use them as templates to mark and then cut out gill holes. Then just insert vent gills into them. Although, will not have the OEM sunken look will look more authentic than stickers.
I can then sell them to someone that has the skills or money to install professionally.
Just my thoughts for today may change tomorrow.