Main Menu

1971 Challenger Windshield Trim Installation And installation Tool Question

Started by Daveh, April 06, 2017, 12:54:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install my trim on the windshield of the convertible and I'm at a stumbling block.  There are two pieces of trim around the windshield a thick piece and a thin piece that covers over the windshield.  The painter installed new clips that I bought and then installed the windshield and all went well. 

The thicker piece of trim went on well but I'm struggling with the thinner piece.  I'm using an old tool to install trim that I used on old Chevys.  Kind of crappy but has always worked.  My thought is that because the clips are new that they are very tight.  Knowing how much that trim costs I'm being a little apprehensive. 

1. Is there a different tool for installing MOPAR trim? 
2. Can someone show me a picture of the correct tool so I can purchase the right one instead of my makeshift tool? 
3. Do you think my thoughts on the clips being tight because they are new is accurate?  Thanks

Dave

1 Wild R/T

I don't use a tool to install... Just for removal.... Install I just position the trim & slap it with the palm of my hand....

soundcontrol

Thats worries me also, I cracked my windshield trying to remove the trim. Following.  :popcorn:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 06, 2017, 01:19:37 PM
Thats worries me also, I cracked my windshield trying to remove the trim. Following.  :popcorn:

Removing the trim is allot harder than installing the trim, plus often when done by a pro the trim gets installed with urethane cause the clips might he damaged, missing or loose...

Daveh

Everything is new except for the trim.  I really don't want to go pounding it down.  I would if it was a non convertible car but you just can't buy that trim and it's not being made.  I had all of the dents and dings fixed on the original trim and re-polished and don't want to screw it up.  Like I said the wide trim is on and fine. 

Would these do the trick? 

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/e-body-challenger/parts/y35200.html

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Daveh on April 06, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
Everything is new except for the trim.  I really don't want to go pounding it down.  I would if it was a non convertible car but you just can't buy that trim and it's not being made.  I had all of the dents and dings fixed on the original trim and re-polished and don't want to screw it up.  Like I said the wide trim is on and fine. 

Would these do the trick? 

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/e-body-challenger/parts/y35200.html

You don't want to do that.  As long as you have the correct height trim clips, tapping it with a rubber mallet or the palm of your hand on the very outer edge works perfectly.  It doesn't take a whole lot to snap the trim on, no where near enough to dent it.  If you installed the wrong clips that are to low, you really have a problem.

soundcontrol

Quote from: HEMICUDA on April 07, 2017, 10:27:52 AM
If you installed the wrong clips that are to low, you really have a problem.

There is some good info, so there is clips that fits but are too low? Wanna avoid that for sure. Is there a part No. or something to make sure we have the right clips?

Daveh

UPDATE - Decided to take your recommendations and bang them with he palm of my hand and it worked great.  Nervous as heck while doing it but it worked.  Thanks.

RUNCHARGER

We understand, it's tough to smack on stuff when you want to keep it all perfect.
Sheldon

Daveh

I was just putting too much thought into it and said what the heck.   :ohyeah:

schlett7nu1

Dave
I was planning on removing the windshield trim off my 70 Challenger convertible over the winter and having it restored. Stared at it a bit yesterday. It appears that the wider outer trim comes off easily just by removing the screws. Please confirm. The thinner inner trim attaches with underside clips. Please indicate what tool you used to remove this trim along with any lessons learned. The trim pieces have never been off the car.
Thanks
Dereck

soundcontrol

Quote from: schlett7nu1 on October 27, 2018, 04:40:29 AM
Dave
I was planning on removing the windshield trim off my 70 Challenger convertible over the winter and having it restored. Stared at it a bit yesterday. It appears that the wider outer trim comes off easily just by removing the screws. Please confirm. The thinner inner trim attaches with underside clips. Please indicate what tool you used to remove this trim along with any lessons learned. The trim pieces have never been off the car.
Thanks
Dereck

Be careful, I cracked my windshield. The tool looks like this, you slide it in under the trim from the windshield side so the hook grabs the inner part of the clip, then you move it sideways a bit (no pressure on the windshield) and the trim will come loose from that clip. It helps to look at a picture of the clips first so you know how they attach to the trim, and also a picture of the locations of all the clips. Mine was also stuck with the black windshield glue, that why I cracked the glass, trying to bend it away from the windshield.