Main Menu

Crossmember, Rear Shock area

Started by Rbob, May 18, 2020, 08:45:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

New member with a question, I have stripped off most of the undercoating and found 2 cracks in a rear crossmember, I am not sure if they supposed to be there.

Here's a couple pics:

1 Wild R/T

Absolutely not... Weld them up...  Looks like someone may have cut the crossmember... Cracks are pretty common in the crossmember but not where yours are... Look up near the shock mounting bolts...

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rbob

Daveh

Yup weld them up and you're good.  Should only take a few minutes.   Good luck.

Chryco Psycho

Could not hurt to weld a small piece of angle across it to reinforce it .

JS29

Drill a hole at the end of the split before you weld it.  :welcome: to the forum.  :handshake:

Bossgold

my car had Hijacker air shocks most of its life....and that cross member was completely replaced. Only piece of metal on the car that was touched. I think many put these on due to the rake of the rear and the side pipes but it would be interesting to know if your car had the air shocks. The reason for the damage on mine is I believe the air shock put a  lot of strain on the cross member and it either cracked or broke

JS29

That panel was never meant to support the weight of the car.  :Stirring:

Chryco Psycho

anytime you weld a crack drill a hole at the end of the crack to prevent the crack from continuing before welding it

Rbob

Learning new stuff all the time,  drilling and welding the crack tomorrow.

And yes it did have air shocks.

JS29

Air shocks are bad news on anything but an El Camino or Rancharo.  :alan2cents: