Main Menu

Rear shock psi?

Started by billdogg5, September 03, 2021, 07:17:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

billdogg5

74 challenger with original rear shocks, what air pressure do they take?

Thanks!

Burdar

Quote74 challenger with original rear shocks

Stock air pressure was NONE.  74 Challengers didn't come with air shocks.

DeathProofCuda

If you have air shocks in the rear of your car, they are not original.  Air shocks on a muscle car are usually used to adjust the stance of the car, so the pressure needed is based on how high you want the raise the rear end.  Just be aware that using air shocks to raise the rear of your car can damage the upper shock mounts.  Your leaf springs are designed to hold up the rear of your car, not your shocks.

dodj

They aren't original, but likely added the first time the owner thought the car's butt was sagging.
If it were me I'd replace them with proper shocks.
There is no real good psi setting, if you want to keep them, just don't raise the back of the car much with them. It stresses the shock cross member too much.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

billdogg5

Ok thanks for the responses probably look into replacing them

billdogg5

You guys have any suggestions for replacement shocks?
Much appreciated

anlauto

You'll likely find that your car will be sagging in the rear end once you remove the current shocks, and regular or even heavy duty shocks will not raise it back up. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

billdogg5

Whats the proper way to raise the her?

76orangewagon

Quote from: billdogg5 on September 04, 2021, 06:04:04 AM
Whats the proper way to raise the her?

I took mine to my local spring shop and had them re-arched to factory specs..they also would have gone more if I wanted more lift and the cost was much cheaper than buying a new pair from one of the aftermarket spring companies.

Mrbill426

With the mention of air shocks putting stress on the upper shock mounts is it advisable to install (pressurized) gas shocks back there??

dodj

I can compress a gas shock with my hands, so the spring is still doing the car lifting. Although a gas shock does increase ride height for a brief period.  So I don't think it is the same,  but interested in what others have to say.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Mrbill426

@dodj me too.  I installed gas shocks on mine, had to do it by connecting the top first because otherwise lying under the car I could not pull them in to slide upper bolts through if I did the bottom first.  When I released the "tether" I had one shot at looping the bottom ends over the pins as they extended...there was no turning back  :o ... They are locked in there now... the rear is "solid".  I suppose they might relax over time.  :dunno:

Quote from: dodj on September 04, 2021, 08:24:59 AM
I can compress a gas shock with my hands, so the spring is still doing the car lifting. Although a gas shock does increase ride height for a brief period.  So I don't think it is the same,  but interested in what others have to say.

HP2

A high pressure nitrogen shock is around 160-200 psi. This psi is transferred through the shock in a controlled rate by the valving. By comparison, an air shock pumped up to 100 psi holding up 45% of a 3800# car,  takes an 855# beating in each shock every time the suspension cycles and the pressure is a constant that sits in the bladder and is not valved to transfer the pressure.

Chryco Psycho

Get a decent shock QA1 , Bilstein .
KYB is Junk

76orangewagon

Here's what WILL eventually happen to your rear upper shock crossmember if you use air shocks to lift the rear of the car instead of of the springs.