Main Menu

Cleaning up Headlight Buckets...

Started by 1 Wild R/T, December 01, 2019, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

I've seen a few posts about this subject & I've tried a few methods in the past.... Most suggest blasting from a distance with fine media.... I've done that, some suggest having them plated, well the original process was done before the buckets were formed & can't be duplicated.. So what ever you do the results aren't great.... 

Today I was cleaning up parts for my Coronet build & decided I wanted to try something.. I have a ultrasonic cleaning tank for doing carburetors..  I threw a headlight bucket in the tank, and a 50/50 mix of Simple Green & water....  Let the tank heat up & turned on the vibrations....  Here's a few photos... I'm pretty happy with the results.... I think I'll be using the ultrasonic tank for more tan just carbs...

Oh,BTW I'd already scrubbed the headlight buckets with soap & water & a brush..

anlauto

Wow, that has excellent results....The cars around my area, those are usually rusty as well....would be nice to find an original set like yours.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

These came off my 68 Coronet which spent it's first ten years being beaten relentlessly then it spent 22 years abandoned in a backyard....

Chryco Psycho

Ultrasonic works very well on many parts !  :twothumbsup:

dodj

Looks nice Wild.  :bravo:  I've only used the the u.sonic for carbs and solenoid valve bodies.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7E-Bodies

Excellent results! Interested. Can you post a pic of the nameplate on your ultra sonic unit?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

1 Wild R/T

dodj

Wow. 40 amps. It's got some ooompha!
Is it a proprietary plug or std 40A?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

Actually the 40A is some kind of size code...
The technical specs show....

Technical Deatails
Ultrasonic Power : 240W
Heating Power 200W
Frequency: 40kHz
Voltage: AC110V60Hz
Tank Capacity: 10L
Time Setting: 1 - 30 minutes. DO NOT continuously heating it for over 30mins
Temperature Setting: 0-80 degrees Celsius
Tank Size:30*24*15cm (L x W x H)
Unit Size: 32.5*26.5*28.5 (L x W x H)
Tank Material:Stainless Steel SUS304

So 440 watts @ 120 volts is less than 4 amps...   40 amps this thing would melt parts... LOL.  It's really not that powerful but it does a really good job, it's taken some pretty nasty carbs & cleaned them better than most carb dip tanks I've ever used....  It does really good on all those nooks & crannies that you can barely see never mind about scrub... It also sonically cleans passages that a carb soak tank only gets wet....  I've been pretty impressed...

7E-Bodies

Thanks for the link! Wow...way less expensive that I had thought. Have you had it long enough to really run it through its paces? I'll buy one in a heartbeat if they last.

1 Wild R/T

I've only had it for about six months, but I've used it quite a bit & now that I've decided it's gonna do more than carbs it's gonna be busy....

jimynick

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 02, 2019, 11:21:49 AM
I've only had it for about six months, but I've used it quite a bit & now that I've decided it's gonna do more than carbs it's gonna be busy....
I've read about a bunch of guys who also use them for guns & parts and they all rave about them. It looks like a nice unit and it has a drain which was a sore point in the HF unit; that was, admittedly, half the price, but also looked it. I can see one in my future some time.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

7E-Bodies

I'm a gun collector as well, so good point. I can see this for jewelry, antiques, you name it.

7E-Bodies

I just put it in "my cart". It was $146 earlier, now it's $154! WTH? That was like 4 hours ago. I swear we get spied on.

1 Wild R/T

The one thing I've heard on gun forums is it pulls all the oil out of mechanisms as well as the steel in general so it can cause rust..... I know there are areas on a few of my guns that can't be accessed without driving out pins & such... Not sure I want to chance it.... But then I clean my stuff regularly anyway so I don't see a need..