Main Menu

Colors/finishes for underbody pieces

Started by 70RTSE383, October 26, 2019, 11:30:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

I'm finally starting to work on the underside of my Challenger. I'm not doing the rotisserie thing for a number of reasons. I'm scrapping out the wheel wells of undercoat to start. The front k member and suspension had already been removed refurbished and painted. From firewall back had been pressure washed and painted body color. The underbody was only undercoated in the wheel well area. Nice clean original yellow body color under that except for hardware. So I need the finish for the hold down brackets and bolts. Then the rear sway bar and attaching brackets. Any info on these would be great, thanks. John
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Shane Kelley

Looks like no one has followed up with you. You need to order the restoration guide. I know it's a little pricey but well worth but will answer most of your questions. Lots of photo's and descriptions of hardware and markings. I highly recommend it!

https://shop.mmcdetroit.com/products/mmc-detroit-e-body-fastener-manual-1970-74-fastener-manual-fme-1

70RTSE383

Thanks Shane, I think I am going to get one. Do you know if it has any details on painting the blackout on the radiator support behind the grill for instance?
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Shane Kelley

It doesn't have that type of stuff.  It's pretty much relates bolts, fasteners and hardware.

Some of the things your asking about like the core support blackout will under the "resources" tab in the upper right hand corner of the forum.  Lots of good information in there. I highly encourage you to browse through that section.

usraptor

I'm not sure where I got this info, but I saved it so take for what it's worth:

The sway bar, drag link, and steering knuckles are forgings, so the natural surface finish is a bit different than the stamped steel parts such as upper and lower control arms.

With the sway bar, drag link, and steering knuckles, clean them up with your wire wheel on the bench grinder. Rub wheel bearing grease on to them and wipe off as much excess grease as possible. This will produce a very new looking natural finish and have a protective layer too. If there is excessive rust, sand blast or glass bead blast prior to using the wire wheel. 

K member = Eastwoods Extreme chassis black or 2K ceramic chassis black. anyone with opinions on these products? is it worth getting an HVLP as this could be used for lots of other parts (i.e., are the paint products that much better that it will pay off in the long run? realistically if a few pieces nee to be sent out to be sprayed likely would pay for the unit pretty quickly.)? should this be gloss????????? my thought is gloss for the k member.

Pitman arm, idler arm, center link, tie rod ends and adjusters, and spindles = all shades of gray like Seymour's cast blast, eastwood detail gray, eastwoods zinc phosphate. what would you use to top (clear) coat these? and which other parts would you clear coat?

sway bar and strut bars = shades of gray.....this post is saying black for the sway bar though....need to confirm which is correct. anyone know for sure? now leaning towards black. what about the mounting brackets for the bar....

drums/backing = eastwoods brake Gray. Interested in the red circles in the above pictures on the drums. Resto Rick sells this paint, but haven't seen these circles a lot. what cars received them?

upper control arms? I am uncertain. was leaning towards a "natural" look, but was uncertain what this would be. do you need something more silver than one of the cast gray products?

what about steering boxes? where manual boxes natural (cast gray) and power boxes black? Heard this, but doesn't make sense why the power ones would be painted.
Also, you might want to check out Alan's link for parts restoration for ideas at:  http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/COMPONENT-RESTORATION.html

and: https://books.google.com/books?id=FNfbubrQXC4C&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=1970+cuda+front+sway+bar+bolts&source=bl&ots=16gSjOJ0sT&sig=z4Peix1YXDZ4df2TMRba4HnDPqE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLs8Cc7brRAhUJ7GMKHeGMCQcQ6AEIsgEwDQ#v=onepage&q=1970%20cuda%20front%20sway%20bar%20bolts&f=false

Chryco Psycho

Manul steering boxes were cast alum / no paint
power are iron
The grille black out was sloppy , no defined lines just covered the areas visable through the grille & valance

headejm

Here is a list I put together for my car. It's a 1970 Challenger R/T SE 383 HP (Hemi Orange engine color) body painted FC7, so you'll see reference to those colors. Good luck!

As with anything posted here..."Buyer beware"  :cheers:

headejm

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 29, 2019, 07:41:55 AM
Looks like no one has followed up with you. You need to order the restoration guide. I know it's a little pricey but well worth but will answer most of your questions. Lots of photo's and descriptions of hardware and markings. I highly recommend it!

https://shop.mmcdetroit.com/products/mmc-detroit-e-body-fastener-manual-1970-74-fastener-manual-fme-1

:iagree: I also bought the MMC Restoration Manual. I use it and the fastener manual on a regular basis.

https://shop.mmcdetroit.com/products/icca-judging-guidelines-e-body-vol-1-jme-1

Mrbill426

Does this manual by chance cover wiring harness routing?

:wrenching:

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 29, 2019, 07:41:55 AM

Shane Kelley

It does not. Is there a certain harness you have a question about? I could possibly help you.

Mrbill426

Thanks; possibly.

Actually so far I have two harnesses I will want to have the correct routing and "mounting hardware" placement for  :)  1: The front lighting harness that is on the left engine compartment and includes the headlights, fender turn signals (branch), and horns.  2: the engine harness that crosses the firewall to the right side and goes up to the alternator and temp gauge.  It is a '72 340 car with electronic ignition and factory A/C.  The harnesses have these plastic "stirrup" looking pieces that are taped into them in some places; I am not sure what they are for  :huh:
I know this probably belongs on a electrical page but it while on the subject.

:wrenching:

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 05, 2020, 05:27:35 AM
It does not. Is there a certain harness you have a question about? I could possibly help you.

Shane Kelley

I don't think the loop is used on all applications. I don't recall ever seeing it fastened to anything on any car I have ever messed with. I think between these pics you can get a good idea of how the wires should be routed. Hope this helps you out.

Mrbill426

Thanks, purdy car! :bigthumb:
Though mine has power brakes I am sure these pictures will help.
Even though that book does not cover wiring I still may order one; if the turnaround is pretty fast.

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 05, 2020, 08:37:30 AM
I don't think the loop is used on all applications. I don't recall ever seeing it fastened to anything on any car I have ever messed with. I think between these pics you can get a good idea of how the wires should be routed. Hope this helps you out.