Main Menu

convertible header stainless trim ?

Started by Burdar, June 16, 2020, 06:01:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

@1 Wild R/T

I know there are some convertible owners on here.  Although my question is about my 68 Dart, the E-bodies use similar stainless trim on top of the windshield that the convertible top sits against.

I'm in the process of sanding/polishing my stainless trim.  I noticed that the passengers side header trim has a very low screw hole.  It's the farthest outside hole where the top of the windshield frame meets the A-pillars.  The drivers side hole isn't indented like the PS.  Looking at the windshield frame I THINK I see why but I'm not sure.  The top header is welded to both A-pillars in this area.  The DS looks like a fairly smooth transition between the two piece.  The PS looks like the two pieces weren't welded together quite right.  It's hard to see in a picture but I think the top of the PS A-pillar is low.  When the trim was installed, the outside screw hole was sucked down.

Is this a common problem with convertibles?  What is the fix?  I could just leave it but...   If I straighten out the offending screw hole, it's just going to get sucked back down when the trim is installed.  Do you add material to the top of the A-pillar section or can I sand down the end of the header where it's high? 

In the picture you can see that the left stainless piece has a really low screw hole.

1 Wild R/T

Fix it before you put the trim back on, it'll cause the header seal to not seal....  You could build it up with weld, or even JB Weld... The better the trim fits & is supported the easier it'll be to get the top to seal..

If you look at the trim you can see the header seal ran straight through the middle of the depression..

anlauto

It's not like quality was ever Chrysler's main focus... :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

So, add material to the top of the A-pillar to raise it up?  There is a weld blob right there.  I can grind that smooth too.  That might be holding it up a little.  I guess straighten out the trim first and then try to see how high it is compared to the metal underneath?

I wonder if a little Play-doh placed in that area while tightening the other screws would tell me anything?

Jocigar

..From my daughters 67 dart if it helps

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Burdar on June 16, 2020, 06:13:05 PM
I wonder if a little Play-doh placed in that area while tightening the other screws would tell me anything?

Probably a great plan....

Burdar

Quote..From my daughters 67 dart if it helps

Thanks.  It looks like that one is the exact opposite of mine.  The drivers side is sunken down a little while the passengers side looks good.  Not the best quality control.  My interior windshield trim has a big outward dent in it.  There was a large piece of weld that stuck out and hit the trim.  They just tightened down the screws and sent it out the door.  I've since ground down that weld so there shouldn't be any contact now.

To push out the sunken screw hole I thought about using a small deep well socket just larger then the hole.  That way I'd be pushing on the metal all the way around the circumference of the hole.  Thoughts?