Main Menu

dip in windshield channel

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 13, 2020, 09:14:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am curious about what the purpose is of this part of the windshield channel that dips down toward the cowl?  This is on the driver's side.  Is there supposed to be a similar feature on the passenger side?  There is a very crappy patch in that area on the passenger side.
Thanks?

1 Wild R/T

Thats where the rubber wedges that position the windshield nest...  Should be one on each side...  The wedges have a angle to match the taper of the dip so by sliding it you can raise of lower the glass..

JS29

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 13, 2020, 11:31:37 PM
Thats where the rubber wedges that position the windshield nest...  Should be one on each side...  The wedges have a angle to match the taper of the dip so by sliding it you can raise of lower the glass..
:yes:

headejm

:iagree:

GoMangoBoys

OK.  So the dip is gone on the passenger side.  I am not sure how I can recreate it.  Should I use the rubber block on the LH side and then shim the windshield on the RH side to match the left?
Thanks.

headejm

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on April 14, 2020, 09:51:28 AM
OK.  So the dip is gone on the passenger side.  I am not sure how I can recreate it.  Should I use the rubber block on the LH side and then shim the windshield on the RH side to match the left?
Thanks.

:alan2cents: I wouldn't try to recreate the dip. I'd do what you are suggesting. Just be sure to use rubber for the shim (I'd use just one rubber shim to eliminate any risk of movement between multiple shims). You wouldn't want the bottom edge of the glass resting on metal. Good luck!

plymth70

are the wedge's being made by anyone? I need a set. Maybe someone could get dimension's and I could make a set. Thanks

headejm

@plymth70  Should be easy to make. Use a fairly firm rubber. Check the wedges against the dip in the channel. You want the glass sitting level above the channel and even on both sides.  :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

it is a bit more difficult but you can trim a rubber block to hold the windsheild up to the right height rather than trying to recreate the angled dip in the steel panel , it will not be seen under the chrome trim plate .

plymth70

thank you for the dimension. i can work with that.