Main Menu

Dodge hood letters

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, December 31, 2018, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Curious on when the DODGE hood letters were used on the 70 Challengers.

I have a 70 RT but it has a 71 hood so Of course it has no holes for the letters. I also have a 70 JH car with it's original flat hood and it has an emblem at the nose but no letters. Are the letters an RT thing or did they come along later in the production year or was it something they did only with the hood vinyl?

Does anyone make them? Can't see spending mega dollars on NOS ones.

RUNCHARGER

The letters are a 70 R/T dual scoop hood thing.
Sheldon

Rich G.

My 70 convertible non R/T has the hood letters. It is a 340 A66 car with the dual scoop hood. Maybe that's the difference also.

blown motor

They are available in reproduction here. Price is in Canadian dollars.
https://nationalmoparts.com/parts-catalogue?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flexible_flypageV1_WIDE.tpl&product_id=6358&category_id=2245

I thought Roseville had them too but I couldn't find them on the website.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

headejm

Those must be made of gold.  :rofl:

anlauto

They are still available from your local dealer so Roseville can get them no sweat !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Okay so dual scoop hoods.  Makes sense. Thanks for the links. At under $200 for a set, I'd probably do it once the car is painted and looking good.

jt4406

QuoteI'd probably do it once the car is painted and looking good

Not my car or my business, but if I were gonna be drilling holes to mount letters, I believe I would be doing them BEFORE final paint. Just my 2 cents,  (also, I have pics with measurements if you were to need them)

jess
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

Rich G.

I agree, you got 10 chances to screw up a new paint job! And not a whole lot of room for error.

70 Challenger Lover

Absolutely. What I meant was I won't spring for a letter set unless I go all the way with the car and paint it. As it stands now, my plan is to simply get the RT back on the road unrestored.

challengermaniac

Quote from: challengermaniac on January 21, 2019, 11:35:26 AM
Quote from: blown motor on December 31, 2018, 02:35:16 PM
They are available in reproduction here. Price is in Canadian dollars.
https://nationalmoparts.com/parts-catalogue?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flexible_flypageV1_WIDE.tpl&product_id=6358&category_id=2245

Thanks for the referral as I purchased these DODGE hood letters from nationalmoparts and they are GREAT!

My question:  I have a painted 1970 RT hood and just wondering how best to install the hood letters without causing damage to the paint?

Thank you!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

70 Challenger Lover

My r/t doesn't have the holes yet but it looks like there might be small locating bumps on the backside. I got lucky right after starting this post and found a really nice set on eBay for a third the cost of new.

As far as drilling on new paint, I added hood pins to a car once after the paint and I recall using tape on the paint and drilling from the back, stepping up from very small bits so each step didn't remove much metal. I then debured the hole with a tiny rat tail file. Harder of course to deburr with a smaller hole. I had a little paint left over and touched up the inside edge of the hole just for a bit of protection. On my current one though I'll drill before paint in case I screw anything up and have to weld up holes.

70/6chall

Even though my Challenger was not born with the power bulge hood. I was fortunate to find and purchase one of these hoods for $50.00. Real nice sheet metal, a 383 Magnum call out. But missing the D O D G E letters and the hood pin bezels. Found the letters for $5.00 and the whole hood pin set up for $1.00 off a flat hood 318 car.  Thanks,   Al