Main Menu

Purist Looking for Opinions...

Started by 7E-Bodies, February 18, 2023, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bullitt-

I'm reminded of the day back in '77 when I bought a project Duster that had the right side sport mirror. No car I had ever driven, I don't think, had a passenger side mirror but I did have experience driving large trucks that required the use of one. On my way home I needed to get in the right lane and looked over my shoulder & saw nothing, just as I started to move I glanced in the mirror & saw something so stayed in the left lane... Not sure what the outcome would have been but I'm convinced that the mirror saved my butt that day..
  Every car I've had since either had a passenger side mirror or I added one. :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

blown motor

I have to agree with others that the PS mirror is marginal at best. In your case I wouldn't do it, stick to the tag.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

EV2RTSE

I can't see the harm in adding a passenger mirror to a car that doesn't have one. Also in general wouldn't think things like upgrading a power drum car to power discs, or manual steering to power steering would hurt the value, especially if done using correct parts. If anything I'd think they'd be more desirable for any car that would be driven even a little bit. A true museum-piece concourse level trailer queen might be another story.

7E-Bodies

Huge thanks for all of the opinions. I'm swayed to leave her original. Especially since the right hand mirror doesn't do much for blind spot elimination. Had the car been any less OEM, it have gone with adding one.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70_440-6Cuda

I agree that the juice isn't worth the squeeze - with yours so original, I would leave it.  As someone mentioned, if I REALY wanted the extra mirror I would buy another door, and paint both.  That is what i am going to do with my hood - 1 Rally and 1 Shaker
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

torredcuda

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on February 25, 2023, 08:07:57 AM
I agree that the juice isn't worth the squeeze - with yours so original, I would leave it.  As someone mentioned, if I REALY wanted the extra mirror I would buy another door, and paint both.  That is what i am going to do with my hood - 1 Rally and 1 Shaker

I`m doing that with my `70 road runner - it didn`t come factory with the air grabber hood but it`s too cool not to add it. I won`t drill any extra holes and I`ll have the stock hood painted and stored if I want to go back to stock.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

headejm

IMHO...if you want to add a factory feature that wasn't on the build sheet, add it. The value of your car is not lessened because of adding a factory mirror to the passenger side.

My "purist" RT/SE is pretty loaded but came from the factory with the basic single driver mirror and the basic gas cap. Before I obtained it in 1980, the previous owner had added dual body colored racing mirrors and a flip top gas cap. I have since swapped the mirrors for dual chrome ones. I would never consider going back to the way the car was built originally.

6PKRTSE

I have both mirrors on my 70' Challenger. I use it mostly for just staying out ahead of the other guy in the right lane at the track. It does help backing it out of my garage since I keep it tight up against the right side wall.

tparker

I honestly can't remember if mine has one or not. I think it does but maybe not. LOL. Wow, I know that car inside and out. Wait, no, I remember painting them, so yes it does. LOL.

It seems like you might be hesitating a bit, so that might be your answer. If you don't put it on, you can always add it later. Taking it off might be a pain due to the two new holes. LOL. Is the door original or reskined or something? I would be less inclined to add it to an all original car or an original door.

What are you trying to do with the car? Why would you want to put it on? To match a specific package or something? For me, I don't have a real care one way or the other. I suppose if you want a cleaner look you could go with out the mirror and attenae or other stuff, but I don't mind either, unless it was a hemi, 440+6, AAR/ or T/A.

Guess I'm no help. LOL Sorry man

7E-Bodies

It's a U code (440 car) largely original and numbers matching. Came with drivers side mirror only. Just wondering how bad it'll be when assembled for right side blind spot. It's my tenth e body yet first with only one mirror. To valuable of a car to deviate much from the build sheet. I'm leaning towards not doing it.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Chryco Psycho

All newer cars have both mirrors , My SE had only drivers side , I installed dual racing mirrors , now way the SE pkg should not have both included !!
I say install it .

7212Mopar

Leave the ps without mirror. Install after market video camera that is removable. Solve problem with technology. Remove it at car show or when you sell it. With all the traffic and crazy on the road these days, one accident will take away a lot of originalities from the car.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket