Main Menu

Englishtown drag strip

Started by 73chalngr, January 20, 2018, 12:18:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Just to throw another angle at this, I think the number of people drag racing is also going down. Over the years I see less and less people going. Muscle cars are restored to OEM specs and not taken to tracks, the cost of racing is not cheap etc... It's tough to see since I used to attend the drags near me as a kid but the increase in large parking lots seems to have really switched people over to time attack, solo, road racing etc.. Something that can be done with cheap 10-15 year old cars. That to me sounds familiar to the glory days of drag racing. Cheap cars, fun, friendly competition. It's the evolution of the car hobby - in my eyes.   

Someday I will have a J0b.

Chryco Psycho

Yes & no , I see a lot less Muscle cars & older people at the tracks but the car scene is growing IMO , way more street racers & or Tuners out there now

71-440

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 23, 2018, 08:19:55 AM
Yes & no , I see a lot less Muscle cars & older people at the tracks but the car scene is growing IMO , way more street racers & or Tuners out there now

Funny you should say that. 40 years ago I was a street racer. Grew up on Long Island NY. Used to race on Fountain Ave, in Brooklyn. And any ware else
the action was. Ran my '70 Olds W-31 and '65 GTO all over Long Island. Never ran on a track until I bought my '09 Challenger. That was a blast. But also showed a few new Camaro's what a Mopar can do on the street...LOL

The only time I was at Raceway park was for a grateful dead concert. Three day event......But we won't go there. :vipermanhiding:

Joe

RUNCHARGER

Where are people trying out their new Hellcats, GT350's and Camaros? I know where I live you can't get caught trying your car out or it will get confiscated and you'll be lucky to stay out of jail. A lot of these classic musclecars from the glory days were 14 second cars with some being 13's. A lot of this new stuff is consistently 11 second with some of the Dodges reaching into the 10's. We need tracks open with street legal nights.
Sheldon

71-440

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 28, 2018, 07:22:27 PM
Where are people trying out their new Hellcats, GT350's and Camaros? I know where I live you can't get caught trying your car out or it will get confiscated and you'll be lucky to stay out of jail. A lot of these classic musclecars from the glory days were 14 second cars with some being 13's. A lot of this new stuff is consistently 11 second with some of the Dodges reaching into the 10's. We need tracks open with street legal nights.

Yea not like it used to be. Get caught dragging and off to jail. Got to be real careful. Not to many tracks around.
You would be surprised how many of the new cars are owned by people who can't drive them. Ran a few new Camaro's with my '09
and blew the doors off them. Even when I ran at BeechBend in Kentucky SRT'S were running in the 14's  :notsure:

Tracks with street legal nights are nice but few and far between. Commerce (Atlanta Dragway) does a few each year but not enough.
Joe