Main Menu

Fender Repairable?

Started by gzig5, September 21, 2018, 09:12:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

A question for the bodywork-men...

I've done a lot of body work back in the day, but never anything quite like this.   I don't think I could pull that with my tools and you can't get in there to beat on it.   I'd really like to save this fender because I think it is original to the car. The damage is preventing the installation of the grill.  I have another fender that is free of dents, but needs some rust repair behind the wheel well so all is not lost.

So, from the pics, do you think it would be savable and if so, how many hours or how much should I expect for a shop to do it?  I'd only want it pulled out and to the point where it is ready for bondo.

If it isn't pull-able, could I splice the front of the extra fender on? 

Trying to asses my options as I plan for the winter work.

Cuda Cody

If you can not metal work it back in to shape you could always patch a piece in.

1 Wild R/T

Looks like more than a stud gun job... Personally I'd remove the headlight bucket (drill out spot welds) repair the damage which is gonna take some shrinking then reattach the headlight bucket....

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Stud gun would be a good option.

JS29

You could try welding some fender shim's and use A come along to pull the damage out. start at the shallow part and work your way toward the deeper area. using A body hammer lightly on the high spots as you go. cut off the shims and grind smooth.  :alan2cents:

Brads70

You might as well try as you have nothing to loose at this point. If it was mine I'd have a go at it.

superdave

:wrenching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d-y9b5TG48
It's all repairable, just depends on how much time you can/want to spend on it. I love this guys videos (pretty sure he is a member here).  8)  8)

gzig5

Excellent,  thanks for the confirmation and ideas. 

The link to the video is good and I know remember he had one on fixing dents in the roof, which I have to do as well.  Bookmarked for future reference.

jimynick

I'd drill out the h/l bucket and then cut the end off the fender and straighten/shrink/fit it and butt weld it back in. It's a hell of a lot of work and it'd have to have some pretty strong sentimental attachment though! Good luck.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

I think it is very repairable. I too would cut off the headlight bucket to properly access it though. Hopefully the other side is perfect so you can make cardboard templates to verify your work as you go.
Sheldon

gzig5

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 21, 2018, 06:56:30 PM
I think it is very repairable. I too would cut off the headlight bucket to properly access it though. Hopefully the other side is perfect so you can make cardboard templates to verify your work as you go.

The car came with another set of fenders and two fully equipped doors so I have the references I need.  The driver door has a big crease in it that should come out OK.  Just trying to save as much of the original metal as I can, whether it makes sense or not.  I can afford to pay myself to do the work.

71vert340

I drilled out the spot welds on the headlight bucket area of a Challenger fender once to repair a dent similar to that one. It took a lot of time but it was worth it to repair it correctly by tapping out the dents. Go for it.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Paying a shop $100/hr wouldn't make sense when you can buy a repro (that doesn't fit just right anyway). However repairing it yourself does and I agree there is something about knowing you have original panels on the car.
Sheldon

tparker

I'm no body expert but I pulled out a similar dent on the rear quarter and it came out pretty nice, for an amateur. It just takes time. Everything you would want to know is online. You could replace the section like above, but you have to get that piece first. I used a hammer and dolly and was able to knock it out fairly close. Lots of time and lots of youtube. Then I smoothed it out with some body filler.

If you can't reach in there, then you can use a slide hammer. I have to use that on the door. You weld some pins on it, then attach the slide hammer and it will pull the dent out. The trick is to learn how to unfold the dent. I would take it really slow, but its do able.

You can make a slide hammer pretty cheap. I bought one from Harbor Freight and the part that grips the pin stripped and was useless after about 3 wacks. I ended up welding visegrips to the hammer just like the DIY ones.