Main Menu

Firewall replacement

Started by truckinman466, January 14, 2018, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Lloyd Lind

I have done several complete cowls and there is no need to brace the car for a cowl as long as the windshield pillars and frame is solid. If the windshield pillars and hinge areas are rusted out then yes you have big problems but I'm not sure how you would brace them. The AMD cowl has no strength just like the original and really does not stiffen up the car much. I would get the cowl in two parts so you can dress the weld areas in the vin area from both sides when you get done making it original/ match your car. This is super easy to do on a unwrecked car, you just about can't put it in wrong.

RUNCHARGER

Ha: Yes, I was assuming the door posts were gone too.
Sheldon

truckinman466

The windshield and door posts are fine. The lower edge of the firewall is loose already as I just put new floor in. Didn't get the front edge of floor welded cause I ran out of gas for my welder.

A.Gramz

I made a "A" frame for the posts/roof  and cross braced the inners.  the jobs not bad at all repos fit really well.   

jimynick

We bonded and welded the two pieces of the upper and lower firewall together before we installed them on my car, but it was totally torn down as well and if the car is still assembled, you'd probably do better putting them in one by one. They )AMD parts) don't fall together and some pushing/pulling and tweaking will likely be required. Buy, if you don't already ahve them, lots of vice-grips and/or Clecos to hold everything in place once you get your fit. I'd pre-drill for spot welds and copper weld through primer is your friend. As mentioned, you can panel bond most of this and it's a good enough system that the OEM manufacturers use it currently. Buy quality bonding epoxy (3M or Lord Fusor) and read/follow the directions to prevent failure and an increase in your blood pressure! Take your time, take lots of "pre" pictures and measurements, use your noodle and you'll be fine. Good luck!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"