Main Menu

How close is A/C and heater core to firewall inside? Want to drill into firewall

Started by Cudakiller70, June 04, 2017, 03:01:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

1971 Challenger 340 factory A/C car. I want to drill a couple of holes to mount my coil onto the firewall inside the engine bay, but I'm afraid of drilling into the A/C heater components behind. How much room is there? Is this a no-go zone?

Cuda Cody

With a heater box there is about 1/2" of insulation.  But not sure on an AC box.  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

There's a few options to use to stop a drill from going to far so a 1/2" should be plenty. Just have to be a little careful and take you time.  Also, can you put it up higher so it's not in front of the ac box?

Cudakiller70

Of course I'm wanting to mount it just under the heater hose outlets :o Do you think with a stop on the drill bit it's possible?

anlauto

If you stay more to the right under the AC lines you should be okay. You may hit the box, but nothing vital  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Through the years I've mounted a few coils on the firewall or inner fenders, later I always wind up regretting it & wind up welding up more holes.... These days I'd either make up buy a bracket to mount the coil off the engine...  Maybe something like this....

http://arengineering.com/products/vertical-mount-single-bolt/