Main Menu

Floor pan fixes

Started by wes473, June 09, 2021, 09:42:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

wes473

Hey friends, I'm looking for some floor patch advice, has anybody tried this stuff or something like it? I was thinking about this stuff or using a Line-X type product to fill most of the minor Swiss stuff. I think I'm a ways away from a full floor pan replacement but a couple of the large holes will probably need some pieces welded in.

Just trying to put off major sheet metal repairs until I start doing the Rockers and rear quarters that need to be fixed as well as the entire trunk floor. Not terribly worried about originality has a plan on swapping a five speed later but more on the drivability and quality of repair work to last.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/trunk-and-floorpan-repair-kit.html

Shoooter

I wouldn't spray line x on there. It would be hard to clean it off of parts that you want to keep. I would try some roll on por 45

jimynick

Don't try to mud up those holes. It'll come back to bite you in the ass and you'll've wasted all the money and effort put into it. If you're trying to be "thrifty", I'd buy a front floor repair patch and section in the section that needs it. If you trim and overlay the patch on the floor, quite often you can take a slitter blade on an angle grinder and cut through both panels leaving a 1/16" gap that'll weld up nicely. The car looks pretty good and it deserves (and so do you) a better quality repair. At the end of the day, it's your car and your call, but please give it some extra thought.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

I agree: That looks like a great car and a lot of guys are stuck working with much worse. Just do it right, do it now, it will save you grief later. Nothing says Mickey Mouse like coating over rust.
Sheldon

wes473

:cheers:
Thanks guys, I work with metal everyday but I'm not a auto body guy. I know the big holes need patches but the pinholes I just wasn't sure if you section those out or what exactly. Now that I think about it, labor shouldn't be too bad if I'm just cutting out and Welding patch panels.
@jimynick that is a pretty slick way to pattern in the repair patches. It took me a minute to wrap my head around buying floor pans just cut them up LOL.

So now I guess the question is what's your favorite brand of floor pans and Sheet Metal?

gzig5

The pinholes could be cut out and patched in groups if you want.  Or, I have had decent success by scuffing the area and welding the holes up, backed by a copper plate.  I have several hunks of various sized copper to choose from, or a smashed section of copper pipe works as well.
For example
https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/harbor-freight-welding-spoon.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGSTGCCzfzo

MRM82

I've also had good luck placing thick aluminum or copper (whatever you have) and using it behind the pinholes as like a "dam". Work outside-in on the holes and grind smooth.