Main Menu

Flush mount Windshield and Rear Glass

Started by 74CudaChief, July 21, 2017, 02:48:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74CudaChief

Has anyone done a flush mount Windshield and Rear Glass? (eliminating the rubber gasket and gluing it in like the new cars have raised up so the glass is flush with the body panels) 

I looked on YouTube and tried Google along with searching this and other forums with no luck.
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

Roadman

@Johns Cuda Shop      He hasn't been on in awhile though. 

anlauto

My brother-in-law and I did that back in 1993 when we built his Cuda....I'm pretty much sure we were one of the firsts to do so.....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Johns Cuda Shop

74CudaChief

Thanks for the pictures.

It looks like you still used the trim around the window, front and back?
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).

74CudaChief

I should have also added: Can anyone describe how to modify the windshield and rear window flange so I can flush mount mine?

Would I need to have custom glass cut for the front and rear after modifying the flange?

HP2

I'd think one of two ways - either modify the opening (shrink the size and raise the pad by welding in new channel) so the stock glass fits close and flush enough to the opening to use a simple rubber bead to trim it out; or have custom oversized glass made to the original opening size with enough sealer to lift the glass flush.

71TA

For Chevys and Fords there is oversized glass. Nothing for our Mopars. I like this look too. On Mopars, unless you weld in a filler bead and do a ton of body work, you'll have a thick black bead, ugh. Not the look we want.