Main Menu

Front bumperette differences

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, February 19, 2019, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

After searching forever, I finally found a set of the Challenger bumperettes at a reasonable price. The guy advertised them as dart/demon but in the description he said they were for a 71 Challenger.

The solo one I had shows a cut back at the bottom rather than coming to a point as the ones I bought do. All the ones I have ever seen are flat ar the bottom. Did they do something different in later years?

Also, the seller claimed they were nos but I can't tell if that's true or if they were rechromed at some point earlier. They look great on the outside which is all I care about.

Mixup7071

I bought two sets they said were for challenger but they must be for darts, you can't tell until you place them on the bumper, the bottom will go past the bumper and the bumper holes will not line up, they are cut a little different on the bottom because there left and right sides

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Mixup7071 on February 19, 2019, 04:59:19 PM
I bought two sets they said were for challenger but they must be for darts, you can't tell until you place them on the bumper, the bottom will go past the bumper and the bumper holes will not line up, they are cut a little different on the bottom because there left and right sides

I know these are Challenger ones. The dart ones are similar but I knew what to look for before buying. Here's a photo showing a Challenger one next to a Dart one. I was curious why my original has a flat on the bottom instead of ending in a point.

70 Challenger Lover

The challenger one has a deeper cut out. Here's another photo of my original next to the ones I just bought. They are absolutely identical except that the new ones come to a point at the bottom.

Mixup7071

I see what you mean looks like the one was cut off unless it is a different year, I have one challenger one off of my 70 it is straight not cut

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Mixup7071 on February 19, 2019, 07:18:00 PM
I see what you mean looks like the one was cut off unless it is a different year, I have one challenger one off of my 70 it is straight not cut

I looked through a bunch of photos on the Internet and from what I can tell, they seem flat on the bottom like mine. I thought people on here could provide more insight. Maybe the flat ones were early production? Initially I thought the flat ones were 70 and the others 71 but who knows?

anlauto

Is the cut out for the bumper the same on both, and does it fit the bumper ? Do you have a left and right as well ? They are both supposed to be different.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

My original set were attached to an original bumper but one was badly damaged so I tossed it.

The new set is a matching set and I can see that there is a left and right. I was just wondering why my original was flat at the bottom but the new ones are not flat.

6bblgt

the ones with my '70 R/T (702-SPD) when I purchased it, both come to a point

70 Challenger Lover

Well the old one I have with the flat at the bottom must be some sort of anomaly. The new ones are a matched set so they should work out perfect. Plus someone rechromed them so bonus.

By the way, if a car left the factory with these, would there be a code on the fender tag for them?

70 Challenger Lover

Here's a different angle of old versus new

6bblgt

there is NO fender tag code for bumper guards on E-bodies

1970 Challenger, the rear solid chrome "bumperettes" are STANDARD
the only OPTION: M85 Front guards w/cushions & Rear cushions

if you got the front guards, you also got the rear cushions

6bblgt

28.4% of 76,763 US spec. '70 Challengers were equipped with M85  :lookatthat: I would NOT have guessed they were that popular when new!

70 Challenger Lover

I didn't know the rear rubber strips were only used when the car had front guards. So the "M85" code is not listed on the fender tag even if the car came equipped with it.

I have the build sheet on the car so I'll see if the car actually came with them or were added later.

bc3j

Quick question. My car has the front guards with cushions, but solid chrome rear guards without cushions. I have no idea how they got installed. I have no build sheet as it's an LA build car. I have bought the cushions and they came with pre-installed studs. It looks like I have to drill holes in the rear guards to install them. Is that correct?